ENTERPRISE LTSB problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ruili, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    I have an interesting problem, hoping someone has some ideas.
    Because of performance issues, I switched to Enterprise LTSB. Improved performance, but youtube and vimeo no longer function. I do not have flash on either build so It cant be that. On youtube, I get about a 60% failure rate to load videos, others lag badly. On Vimeo its 100% fail with their little "Oops, cant play on your setup" sign.
    -I have tried changing IPV6 DNS servers to googles for youtube to no avail.
    -I have tried running with no firewall, windows or others.
    I cant understand what the OS has to do with this problem.
    My web browser is Vivaldi, I have tried killing all extensions.
    I tired explorer with mixe results, vimeo doesnt work at all but youtube would play a video not playing on Vivaldi. But that video plays on vivaldi in normal enterprise windows10.

Any ideas?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Use a good browser like Firefox or Chrome, not a clone 'wannabe browser' like that thing

3. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    if you're using LTSB N you need those files in your Windows\System32:

evr.dll
    mfplat.dll

and use a Command Prompt to register the files as Administrator:

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\evr.dll"
    regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\mfplat.dll"

4. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    Fixed it...thanks.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    if you care to enlighten the rest, someone might come across this and be thankful for your fix.

6. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    My guess is "N" version was being used which comes without media support(WMP & related codecs etc). One can download & install Media feature pack from microsoft site for "N" & "KN" versions of windows to restore the native media playback functionality of windows.Some browsers & games will not work correctly without native windows media playback functionality.

7. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    Yes, when he mentioned the dll's, I looked into the missing media stuff. Installed the package from microsofts site.

8. Hackeur

Jun 14, 2009
    I'm just curious why you would specifically install LTSB 'N' knowing full well that it comes without any media features and then install the full Media feature pack. :confused:

You only need those two files I mentioned for third party media players and games.

9. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    No need to take chances when it comes to windows & their native functionality.In win 10 there are actually settings/apps which will not work if IE11 is removed using tools like MSMG kit.Who knows which program at what time may not work because some WMP folder/file is not where it is supposed to be?Full media feature pack is only ~100 or so MBs & is worth it for saving the time spent in possible future issues related to multimedia.

10. Hackeur

Jun 14, 2009
    I've been running the LTSB 'N' version since its launch last year without any issues whatsoever on my laptop/tablet and desktop.
    I think it's the most stable version and least bloated with M$ junk. It's lean and very fast and responsive.

You only need the two files I mentioned to fix all issues related to multimedia, don't forget the pack also installs all the WMP junk files as well!

11. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    What you are calling as WMP junk files are actually quite useful for some.e.g.some ppl prefer using WMVideo decoder as preferred video decoder for decoding WMV &/or VC-1.Also it is not like LTSB N is completely free of junk,compared to that an under 100mb WMP install is nothing not to mention it actually has some benefits for those who want them.

P.S.It is all about striking a balance between your usage & potential future issues.For someone who wants/use windows native multimedia capability N version is not worth the hassle even if everything can be achieved by registering dll & downloading codec packs.For someone who doesn't use madvr,ffdshow,avisynth,lav etc N version is fine.

12. Hackeur

Jun 14, 2009
    like I said if you choose to install the N version it's your choice to exclude media features, otherwise what's the point to install it in the first place - just install the standard LTSB version.