Erasing a locked hard drive?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Innotime2, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Innotime2

Innotime2 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    I have a hard drive that was password locked. But I removed it from the original Toshiba laptop and put in a new drive so I can sell that laptop. .

Toshiba MK6475GSX if that helps.

Here's the problem. Now that I no longer have the original laptop it's not recognized in any other laptop. I don't really care for cracking the password, if I can just somehow format the drive. Either one will work, it's a perfectly fine 640gb drive I don't just want to toss because of a password

Anything? Or am I just s**t out of luck? T

TY

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Innotime2

Innotime2 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks.

Came to post a little update...

So I have a big box of old hard drives and I was able to find a drive with the same board as this one. I swapped them out and plugged it into my laptop as an external. But I get a "disk not initialized" error under disk management. So I go to initialize it and I get a "data error cyclic redundancy" error or something along those lines. Does this have anything to do with needing a firmware update or anything like that? Or is the board I swiped just bad/corrupt?

I can't do chkdsk that I know of because the disk has no drive letter. It just says Disk 1 unknown, not initialized.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    switching boards might work but as far as I know, it does not work to unlock a drive. The unlock feature is on the platter, not the firmware.
    Besides, you'll need an exact board with identical model, revision and date code for it to work in another drive even if it was not locked

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Innotime2

Innotime2 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    Gotcha. Yeah. I am starting to feel this drive is just trash. Not sure how any program will work considering the drive is not recognized in bios or under boot menu selection.