ESET Cyber Security Pro OR Bitdefender Antivirus??

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Dx3me, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dx3me

Dx3me MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2013
    My question;
    Since August 2015 I'm using ESET Cyber Security Pro, and I'm pretty satisfied.
    I really like the fact of it being an all-in-one solution (spam/malware/virus/firewall), that doesn't require me to install any additional software.
    However, I realised that ESET Cyber Security Pro has a noticeable impact on system performance (specially using boot sequences).

- Now I ran into an antivirus review at macworld (although I'm not quite sure how reliable/independent this source is), and I started reading it.
    In that review it's also clearly mentioned that ESET Cyber Security Pro (ranked #6 in their charts) has a noticeable impact on system performance... so luckily I'm not the only one noticing it.
    Rank #1 is taken by Bitdefender Antivirus, which I find interesting. It's mentioned that Bitdefender scores pretty much 100% regarding security and that it has an impact on system performance hardly noticeable.
    But... the thing that worries me a little bit, is the fact that Bitdefender Antivirus doesn't offer any firewall.

Now I would like to hear from you, if you would find it wise for me to switch from my current ESET Cyber Security Pro and move to Bitdefender Anivirus?
    - And if your answer would be to indeed switch to Bitdefender Antivirus; what should I do to counter the loss of a firewall (that ESET does offer, and Bitdefender doesn't), would the default Gatekeeper be sufficient (or whatever the default security that Apple puts in its OS X might be named)... or should I indeed get myself an additional firewall?

Relevant software and hardware I'm using;
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
    5K iMac released late 2015

What I found and tried already;
    macworld
    I found out - as mentioned in the review above -, that ESET Cyber Security Pro has a noticeable impact on system performance, that I would like to get rid of if possible (who wouldn't?).

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    BitDefender!
    lol saw a eset nod32 win pc infected after all kinds of cleanups..

3. NeXtStatioN

NeXtStatioN MDL Senior Member

Dec 29, 2014
    I also saw a lot of BitDefender PC infected after all kinds of cleanups

I used to use ESET which was fine (and still fine) but I prefer Kaspersky now

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...