Essential Softwares for a new Windows install

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by sushil1576, Aug 18, 2010.

1. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #1 sushil1576, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The .NET Frameworks are already included in Win7. They're needed in XP (and Vista maybe).
    The DirectX redist are needed only by gamers. Normal users won't notice any difference.
    Shockwave player is needed only in a few sites with online games, I don't think it's essential at all...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    Yes,you are right .Net Framework are included in Windows 7 but quite often they do get corrupted and you are required to install them again..Directx is required not only by gamers but also by other graphics and designer professional and moreover most of the people play games..so more or less i will put it in Essential category...

All the additional plugins are optional,but to browse sites properly it is always better to install them beforehand rather than googling them when required..:rolleyes:

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    For windows 7, only net 4.0 is required.
    Need for codec packs is much less and perhaps not there. VLC can play almost anything.
    You forgot Visual C++ 2005-2010 which I find useful.
    Perhaps, the thread originator should not be blamed since he referred to as Windows and not Windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    but this is the Windows7 section of the forum...

6. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    Right about Visual C++ 2005-2010 also you might want to add Silverlight, Adobe Reader, Notepad ++, And Firefox.

7. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Peer review is a powerful agent of refinement, when employed correctly the entire community benefits and grows.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

8. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    Well,i was thinking of adding Visual C++,but decided not to add them,but if people wants them to be added,I will add them to the list..As far as codec pack is concerned,windows by default does not have all the codecs so we do require them..

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    With VLC media player, I have found absolutely no need to install any codec packs. It has so far played all the torrent movies I download. Anyway, I use VLC to view the movie and load the subtitle so that everything is synchronised. Then I use convert x to dvd to burn to dvd to play on my regular TV.

Imgburn is perhaps the best and lightest dvd ripping/burning program. Use imgburn and nothing else for burning windows 7 images to dvd or copying from cd/dvd to hard disk. DVD Shrink is still perhaps the best for shrinking to DVD. Easy CD-DA is excellent at music and also burning data/audio cd/dvd. Have these and no need at all for any multimedia bloatware.

If you are into movies and subtitles, then no need to go further than subtitle workshop for adjusting subtitles (if torrent has no subtitles, you download separate subtitle file, and need to synch. it with the torrrent movie).

I do not like itunes and quicktime at all (too slow) but sharepod is an excellent free software for copying from hardisk to itunes. Has saved many instances of loading music afresh on itunes. All I do is keep a itunes folder on my PC, change my music properties to locate that folder/partition, then install itunes. By default, itunes opens after install with all my music perfectly in synch. and no deletions.

For cleaning, one must not forget regdrefrag (free and excellent), and win 7 manager. Also ccleaner for some ease of use.

10. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    Vlc player is ofcourse one of the best multimedia player and it does not require any additional codecs...but the advantage of installing a codec pack is that other applications can also access it if required...Anways you have got some nice suggestions regarding apps...i will keep them in mind if i make such a list...thanks

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  12. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    all good apart from the codec pack. I'd recommend people install ffdshow, sure it may be a bit hard to use at first, but it's the best free codec there is.

13. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    #17 sushil1576, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    (OP)
    I have updated the list..It now includes Pdf Readers and compression tools as suggested by members..Any more suggestions?..Hmmm also included an Office suite...well it is a must,isn't it?

14. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Why do you use google.com/url for some of the direct links?

15. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    Direct Links posted without any redirection...

16. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Did anybody mention an antivirus/ internet security app?