Ethernet not working over lan

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Boi_pants, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Boi_pants

Boi_pants MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2013
    I have windows 8.1 pro 64bit and i have run into a problem. My ethernet is not working correctly. It cannot ping over a lan connection, for it says timed out and cannot receive files, but it can still send them. the computer that is receiving the files can ping the computer which cannot receive. IN summary, Computer A cannot ping or access Computer B, but Computer B Can ping and access computer A. This is a new problem as i was using it fine a week ago with no troubles, i have no idea what is causing this, i have tried a tracert on both computers, on Computer A it timed out, and Computer B responded to computer A with one hop and <1ms ping. I have also tried using a different computer as computer B and that did not resolve the problem. I have also reinstalled my driver and reinstalled windows on Computer A and that did not help either. As a side note, on wireless i can ping fine. All suggestions would be appreciated

2. Ricardo41

Ricardo41 MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2011
    #2 Ricardo41, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    I donĀ“t know, I was looking at this, give it a go if you want, might work

"netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"
    in cmd admin
    resets tcp

i get this reply, need permission in regedit or restart
    reset.jpg
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Resetting Interface, OK!
    Resetting Neighbor, OK!
    Resetting Path, OK!
    Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

got it working by changing permissions for
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26
    reset2.jpg

3. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    strange to me also, but seems it might be a Firewall issue...
    disable the firewall then see if ping goes. if YES then you know its a FW issue.

4. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    also check all of your connection RJ45 jack brush with teeth brusher if neccesary,
    to clean, also on Hub switch I'm on LAN here with 10 PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    if not windows firewall, check your router settings

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First at all your Title misleads! Ethernet is an Network Cabling using 4 pair of twisted wires, 2 pairs actually use: 1 for transmitting (TX) and one for receiving (RX) and 2 as spare. LAN means: Local Area Network! Orther networks are using Fiber (Fiber Optic Cable), Arcnet (Coaxcial Cable) and a few other.

As EFA11 told, check your Router first and assign for each PC on your LAN an fixed IP. Than check the NIC settings in Windows Network and Sharing Center, following by the Firewall settings. Look out for each machines setting about allow or disallow Ping etc. and also that sharing is enabled on all machines!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...