Even Windows 8 early adopters prefer Windows 7 by two to one

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
  2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #2 tonto11, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Sounds like the feelings I get on this board. I'll continue to run it on an old plug in hard drive but I'll not update any active computers, Tonto

3. Dutchman01

Dutchman01 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I agree with the artikel. Windows 7 still rocks, it would be great to see some speed upgrades from 8 to 7 in a servicepack.
    I think 8 is not the way to go for desktops.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'll no have a choice to run Windows 8 on several computers in my office. Reasons are easy: we developing Apps, mainly web accessible, for our customers and those apps need to run on multi platform which includes the latest OS's with one exception: NO Apple OS! At all times we need to update to the latest version of the software we're using and that includes the OS.

Regarding the report in question: the figures are not correct. It's still Windows XP which is holding the majority and not Windows 7! So also the other numbers wouldn't be correct as well.

And regarding Windows 8: It's just normal that a brandnew OS with an brandnew Interface will need more time to get adopted than than an Update of an older OS! While the change of the GUI is a major step forward in the "blue" it has the disadvantage for the developer that the users will hesitate to change from an well known and easy to use system forward in the "Fog"!

Also the reports BEFORE the public Avaibility of that new OS, which will be from October 26. 2012 onward, are in many means pointless. If you take a look around, as I did in Bangkok's IT Stores these days, you'll will not see the final version of Windows 8 running and "Show" Computers, they may run just the Consumer Preview! And that happen for the Brand as well as the NO Brand Computers. And till now there isn't any Tablet running Windows 8 RT out in the wild! After the first 3 or more month of sale, the picture will be much more clear and precise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I am personally "forcing" myself to run Windows 8. Most of the new things are annoyances at best. It is stable, fast and basically it is Windows 7 with an annoying few twists to how things get done. I only see metro on first sign in and then it isn't seen until the next time, so that is a non-issue for me. With all that said, Windows wouldn't even be a part of my daily life, period. If it wasn't for the simple fact that the office needs it for several of their services. Once the services are supporting another platform fully, I will put in a requisition for a scrub brush and some bleach. I will systematically (perhaps with an evil grin) wipe the "windows" clean at the office and go 100% alternate OS.

But until then Windows and other MS software are use. It isn't because I want to, but because I have to.

6. cadcad

cadcad MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Most people on here are computer savy and Windows 8 would do good to get a 40% approval with these users. It will do good to get a 20% approval with the general public which is not so computer savy.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Seems interesting article. I like Windows 8 except few glitches and imperfectness (I agree with Intel comment about it). Still love to use it and just installed Windows 8 Professional x64....:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Well,I think Windows 8 is awesome & it has the potential of changing everyday computing as we know it....it has some imperfections though but..those will get perfect with time & when the next version of Windows arrives we will have a super awesome Os :D

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I believe that while W8 is not available to the peoples is enough stable and fast...since W7 is mature OS from 3 years ago...W8 is based on the W7 reability.

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Although Windows 8 is based on mature and stable Windows 7, many code changes have been made in almost all major aspects. Take example of file system; NTFS v5 is pre-requisite for Windows 7 installation. In Windows 8, it is modified a lot to make it fast and more versatile. These changes have been tested vigorously by MS. Still there is one problem, which many users are facing; the file system detects faults on random partitions at random intervals even on drives partitioned with Windows 8 on different systems (including desktops and laptops). Although on reboot it scan and repair errors automatically on system drive, still it is a concern for mission critical systems. Such immaturity is not expected from new OS that is based on previous rock stable OS.

11. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Windows 8 is a step backwards. They wanted to make universal OS for PC, laptops, tablets and smartphones. Just wait when Linux gonna receive better OpenGL support, so many gamers may move to it or just stick with Windows 7. I read an article 2 years ago with an interview from Microsoft. The asked person said Windows 8 is the best OS for gaming. My question is - why? I don't see any drastic improvements for gamers apart from some Xbox app which is useless to me.

12. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have Windows 8 x 64 on both of my desktops - I like it.

13. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #13 CODYQX4, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

14. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Users are resistant to change. In other news: The pope is catholic and water is wet.

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This is a survey and everyone is free and justified to make their own choices.
    As for me, I am now firmly with win 8 in my usage with 90% usage in the last 2-3 weeks.
    I find it workable and more modern in hardware support than win 7 which anyway was a huge improvement over win xp.

16. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #17 chinobino, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  17. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  18. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    After using an activated windows 8 for a month I switched back to windows 7. I like Windows 8 but it has a lot of bugs at present.I will again install it when Windows 8 Sp1 is released.:p

19. nefarious

nefarious MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    I agree with the article. I'll stick with 7 until there is a reason that I need 8. I actually think I'm going to buy a Mac for my next computer. I've had a hackintosh for a while and I'm getting more comfortable with OSX.