Even Windows 8 early adopters prefer Windows 7 by two to one

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. supisiche

supisiche MDL Junior Member

Aug 31, 2010
    All Windows versions were critized by ignorant users and companies, remember that.

Some Windows features who received criticism were:

The start menu (now people defends it), Xp's interface, aero (In vista days was really attacked)...

The smart, concerned and respectful Windows user is the one who thinks before posting and gives his honest opinion about the system.

Saying stuff like WTF MS or WINDOWS 8 IS JUST FOR PHONES AND TABLETS is dumb.

I don't go to zdnet anymore, most of their articles are filled with negativity.

2. HumansCan'tBeTrusted

Aug 7, 2012
    I totaly agree with you. Every time I read something about win 8, I also read comments that it's for tablets. Don't say that if you didn't used it for some time!

3. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I never had a BSoD (blue screen of death) with Windows 7. Not even once, never in almost three years.

But since I installed Windows 8 I get BSoDs quite often (especially when watching flash videos). It's extremely annoying.

I suspect that they are caused by nvidia's driver (I'm using a Geforce 8600 GT with latest win8 x64 drivers), but it ruins the experience for me.

I don't want to reinstall everything again right now, but I'll probably return to Windows 7 soon :(

4. robonzio

robonzio MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2012
    IMO Windows 8 released to early after windows 7 or maybe Windows 7 was released to late. A lot of companys just changed there systems to Windows 7 and now there is no real reason to change to Windows 8. The Modern UI is just a step further to remove the desktop. People have to get used to it and that will need a lot off time. I like the idea of the modern UI but it need more feedback to get tweaks so that everbody will get happy.

5. ALeXTheGreaT

ALeXTheGreaT MDL Junior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I'm one of them... suprisingly! I keep up-to-date every software I have, especially my OS... But not this time...

After Win8, I did a clean Win7 install and done, not looking 'forward' again. I wouldn't easily believe I'm going to be one of those who stay with an older version, especially Windows.

6. kamatayan

kamatayan MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2012
    running x64 version of windows 8 consumer preview and windows 8 pro here...

i have yet to encounter bsod or any other error.

windows 8 runs fast even on my crappy computer.

it will take more than 52 seconds to boot windows 7 compared to 20 seconds to boot windows 8 on a sata I hdd.

so three thumbs up for windows 8 for me. ;)

7. bisdak4920

bisdak4920 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I boot windows 8 in 6 secs from shutdown. 12 secs from restart.

8. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    #28 Cosmic101, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    And cnet did a survey, Which had quite different results.

Personally i like widows 8 and i have not really had any problems to speak of.
    But people do hate change. and i can see win8 just being a stepping stone to windows 9, like vista was to win 7.

But like everything in life people who dislike something are more vocal, then those that do.

Having just read a few of Steven J Vaughan-Nichols articles on ZDNet he seems to really hate windows all together and seems to think everyone should swap to Linux.
    Perhaps not the most impartial person in the world to write about a survey ?

Attached Files:

9. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #29 bk109, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    It's still better than the current Ars Technica staff that's practically a chapter of the Apple/Steve Jobs official fan club XD

But seriously,people shouldn't read too much into early opinion polls.. Plus,frankly,the common user appears to share at least some of the herd mentality of the majestic buffaloes stampeding off a cliff or the lowly lemming ;) Don't forget - the initial reactions to Windows XP for example were full of rants against the default luna theme,which many likened to a Fischer-Price toy, yet a couple of service packs and more than a decade later,it's regarded as the benchmark against which new Windows releases are measured. Hopefully this time around Microsoft will avoid the Vista situation where a decent OS(Yes,I was an early adopter and despite using semi-budget,but current gen hardware I had 0 issues and pleasant experiences overall with it) was branded as an inferior product and was mostly cast aside by the general public.. All courtesy of the expectation of some people that the legacy box they had in hand could receive the next OS without upgrading (Whereas XP could be run with some tweaking by the same hardware that used to run 95 for example) and forced an upgrade despite the stated minimums.. Of course,legacy hardware needed time to see decent drivers + the sluggish performance led to many people venting about how 'broken' Vista was,what a failure it was.. And as Redmond's PR got too late in the game,the OS was just too tainted to be the next big thing. The joke is that what amounts to a Vista facelift/mid-life upgrade was heralded as a great OS :D
    At least this time around MS's been going full bore on the PR front (for now),so 8 has a fighting chance.

10. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    Attempting to troll? Windows 7 is more buggy that 8. At least in my machine. 8 runs incredibly well with the few updates it got so far.

11. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    If i based my decision to adopt 8 on reviews I would never have installed it. Keep in mind I didn't use preview version, I went straight to RTM when it was leaked and never looked back. All that I use work better and faster in Win8 from video conversion software, graphic and all including MS offcice suite :D and manufacturer drivers are not all out yet...
    Win8 FTW​
    :schmorch:

12. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #32 Michel, Oct 3, 2012
    Funny, i tested windows 7 and 8 on 1 machine and windows 8 is losing with booting on my old acer machine. Also i have in my newer machine a SSD and windows 7 boots under 20 seconds. I won't even believe your results buddy :rolleyes:

The only one trying to troll here is you. Windows 7 is more stable then windows 8 ever will be. Windows 8 has alot of bugs, hell i found even functions that worked in 7 and not in 8. :rolleyes:

13. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    ..to each his of her own. It is what it is:D

14. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    My Windows 7 corrupted itself twice in a year after intalling updates. Why does MS patch 7 all the time? I had luck with 8 because I haven't found a single bug yet :)

15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Windows Apps do take a lot of disk space though for what they are, and potentially a lot of internet download quota as well. On top of this, you can't use them with the EnableLUA switch set to 0 (fully disable UAC). So, put up with UAC you say? Can't even do that! It completely blocks me from making changes to files on other drives that were made in Windows 7. This for me, makes it completely useless. Others have found this too. It could potentially cause a lot of frustration for people.

Also, people get stuck even with the things like the PC settings page which has seemingly no way of exiting. It's a tablet interface, pure and simple, it's pretty useless for desktop.

16. Mr Theme

Mr Theme MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    7989 build was the best ever, Release Preview was the more stable with Metro crap, that is covering the useful and Magnific taskbar.....

From first 7850 build used, i'm completely sure Windows 7 is the best one, and from 8 RTM or RP is only a UPGRADE, Metro is not done for desktops, even you can get used to.... that is very easy but NOT BETTER....

Point of view....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. ChaosZero112

ChaosZero112 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2012
    #37 ChaosZero112, Oct 3, 2012
    Running and loving 8. I can see where some dislike can spawn from the forced Metro UI, but once you get use to it it's snappier and more fluid then it's predecessor. Running into no bugs, and the driver support for all the companies I use is amazing. Much better then the Vista to 7 saga.

18. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Hey, 8 patches will be rolling out en masse once the OS hits general release. Probably will have more updates than 7 for a while.

19. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    Time will tell :p

20. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009