Even Windows 8 early adopters prefer Windows 7 by two to one

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. supisiche

supisiche MDL Junior Member

Aug 31, 2010
    GameDev, who cares about vista/7? This is Windows 8 forum. It's not a big deal if MS decides to enable dx11.1 on older systems because they did the same thing with internet explorer. I have a dx10.1 video card and it works fine in Windows 8. And I know perfectly I won't have access to dx11.1 special features, it's pretty obvious.

2. inighthawki

inighthawki MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    It's not that much more complicated. You're exaggerating the cost to prove your point.

Like I've mentioned before, there are API level features that are usable without ANY new hardware. Sure Win8 doesn't have a lot of market right now, but let's at least be fair, the OS isn't even released yet.

I think that's up to the developer to determine if they feel they can make it worthwhile. Perhaps stereoscopic 3d support is important enough for their consumer base to support it on windows 8.

You've been making a large part of your argument that Windows 8 will flop completely. As much as you want to believe that Windows 8 sucks and nobody will use it, that's something you *cannot* know until after it's released. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who like it. Let's not jump to conclusions.

3. inighthawki

inighthawki MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    And I spent a post going over how to support DX11 and DX11.1 at the same time with only a little extra work

Lol, OK whatever, now you're just being dumb. Pretending that you will know what will happen with a product yet to be released. I see now that you're just being asinine, not really worth replying to you anymore since are obviously not very objective.

4. inighthawki

inighthawki MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    The difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is, I never once stated that Windows 8 WILL be successful. I never called any of those people dumb, nor implied it. They don't like it? What have you proven? A couple notable people don't like Windows 8. You're not making an objective deductions, you just think you're being clever and posting relevant, but illogical facts to your argument. You're also misinterpreting my impatience of your ignorance as anger, as each post you write makes you look more and more foolish and grasping at straws, making arguments seemingly only for the sake of trying to convince everyone that your opinion is fact, when it's really nothing more.... just an opinion. Only time can make a claim fact or fiction, and as much as I try to explain that you seem to be unwilling to accept that. No matter how much you wish to pretend otherwise or reassure yourself based on the opinions of other (some important) people, you simply cannot make the claim you are making. It's simply not possible to know.

You make it sound as though adding DX11.1 support is some grand task that will take millions of dollars and a few years time. Upgrading an engine to support DX11.1 would take very little effort if it was already built around DX11. No need to "rewrite" anything except a few small fragments of code to check for support of a feature. I'm starting to wonder about your experience in the game industry given your name and all of your previous posts. Do you work at any reputable game studio where you are making these claims, or are you just some indy developer that thinks they know better than everyone else? Some game studios like Epic have already added support for DX11.1 AND running within Windows RT. It didn't take them very long either. I know some incredibly bright engineers at some really top-tier game studios and none of them ever try to make claims like you make, that's for sure.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Many developers refusing to "go with changed times", they just stacking on what they were working on. But time is moving forward so development does and must! It's true that game development will need a lot of work if the systems those games were started to develop for are changing. But should that trigger to stop for anything else?

Why they bother about the appearance off an new OS? They could easy let their games running just on the "Old" system. No, they couldn't let it go that way because it would "hurt" their valet! Only way to avoid that would be to also moving forward and, change their strategy and produce/rewrite for the new system!

Take the 64bit Applications: How many real 64bit applications existing after quite some years? In reality quite just "some"! Why is that? Because of the founder/developer of the 64bit Operating Systems? NO! It's because the Apps Developer didn't really had adopted the 64 bit for their Apps, except some who really looking forward and doing the need! And that also applies to Microsoft, one of the founder/developer of the 64bit OS's! The grow of the Application Developers today still using 32bit!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. inighthawki

inighthawki MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Go tell that to Epic Games.

7. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Wow, this thread looks like a doctoral thesis of crap :p

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    My dear friend, looks like you forget one important fact: WINDOWS 8 IS NOT RELEASED YET!

Therefore all figures published yet are not true in the real meaning of that word!

The first maybe sightly correct figures will be available not before January 2013!

Ok, if you like to write an Science Fiction Story, just go on but do not forget that many of what you tell today, will one day proof you wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    Look at the people who viewed the sticky threads of this section of the forums. Windows 8 KMS Activation got 1.5+ million views. That's the "illegal" number of people who's interested in the new OS. Imagine how many people will buy the system once it's released and remember, it's cheap. And about gaming:

I play 5-7 hours per day on steam and my source engine games (CS series) work like magic. I choose the fastest system for playing games because i'm not an idiot. I don't even have dx11.

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    All I can say is finally, a suitable replacement for Vista.

12. Mr Theme

Mr Theme MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    Huh you do not read well the forum did you???
    From one week now, there are more people on line reading the 7 section, than 8 section.... and this becomes real more times a day i visit the forum
    MDL proof that Windows 7 is more interesting than 8, 8 has nothing to care of, Game Dev is another voice of truth, like or not this is what is coming out from people using Windows 8, and you expect that after GA the people paying it will explode in happiness??:confused:

If you are old enough, remember the people excitement at the "pre GA release of Windows 7".......

13. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    My guess is that the cry for W7 will even increase, when the first Ultrabooks for the masses with preinstalled W8 will be thrown on the market.

However it will not diminish M$ success because most consumers do not care, or are too afraid to tamper around with their new gadget.

14. andrewmoney

andrewmoney MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2012
    Windows 8 is Microsoft's way of showing to the world that they are ready for tablets while not considering how desktop users will react. Windows 8 is more tuned to be used with a touch screen than a mouse. I don't consider Windows 8 as a full version OS more like an inbetween version OS.

15. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    Windows 8 will succeed.

16. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    So, I double click on an MP3 in Windows Explorer, it launches the metro media player, plays my song. All is great in the universe until I try to leave the app to do something. Music stops.

Even my f*#$%ng iphone knows to leave the music running.

Yeah, I know, VLC or the standard media player. Or maybe even itunes.

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    At driving me nuts.

18. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    If you analyze all the consumer OS released by Microsoft, we have this intriguing trend:

Windows 95 - Bad
    Windows 98 - OK
    Windows Me - Bad
    Windows XP - OK
    Windows Vista- Bad
    Windows 7 - OK
    Windows 8 - Bad

Are they doing this on purpose??

PS: (I'm not counting win2000 nor winnt or server because those aren't "consumer" OS)

19. Jimmi3_T

Jimmi3_T MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2012
    I agree. W8 makes me want to get a Windows phone, tablet, etc. just for the integration factor. Now the Mrs. on the other hand isn't so much of a fan. Lol

20. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Generalisation stinks and comparisons might go lame :D. "Metro" is only poisononig some eyes...aero removal was claimed before. Obviously there is no need to use it on dektop. So do I.
    Win 8 is not that bad at all. Past is mostly glorified.
    Took this only as an example, there are more posts like this, and i´m realy bored listening to that sermon, even though it´s not the reality.

Regards