Even With Telemetry Disabled, Windows 10 Talks To Dozens of Microsoft Servers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Garbellano, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    I vote on figuring out how to crack it and that involves no whining at all.

Regards

2. michaelmyers

michaelmyers MDL Member

May 28, 2015
    I vote on someone actually proving that Microsoft is actually taking private data and storing it.

I suspect I'll be waiting a while. I want actual evidence of them taking personal data (documents, video, photos, music...etc) and that they actually look through it and store it. None of this: "OMG I disabled a bunch of stuff and I'm a moron who doesn't understand why they would want to constantly try reconnecting to servers even when disabled. They must be trying to steal my stuff so I'll collect BS I don't understand and call it proof"

3. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Enlighten us, with your traffic DECRYPTED and the key(s), etc.
    I dont wanna see some stupid plaintext traffic, I wanna see what you did say, *DECRYPTED* TRAFFIC.

4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I vote on someone actually proving that Microsoft is NOT actually taking private data and storing it.

If you feel that their not then why all this data gathering in the first place?? Of coarse M$ says that it is to build a better system. Up till Win10 M$ has built some pretty good systems on their own. What happened?? People at M$ have all become stupid and can't build a new system with out help??

5. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    HTTPS traffic from apps can be intercepted, as can WU traffic (but requires patching the client). I haven't seen it transmit personal data or personally identifiable information. ETW trace logs contain application-specific data, and you'd need the corresponding symbol files to make sense of it. E.g., that's what the "Get-WindowsUpdateLog" command does when extracting a human-readable log file from the trace files.

You use a MITM proxy with a self-signed CA cert and install that as a trusted root on the client machine. It'll decrypt TLS traffic.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    That means they can see all my video's and pictures, oh my:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Oh No, Pay as you go again, MS source please:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    monitor your traffic and you won't need anyone to "prove" something. believe none of what you read and half of what you see ;)

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    It just reminds me of two other people:eek:

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  11. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    You are full of s**t. And you didnt show ANYTHING... NOTHING.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Be sweet dude:worthy::worthy:

13. Studio384

Studio384 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2015
    #35 Studio384, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    I love how this is claiming that local network connections are telemetry-data related. Also, non of these "Port 80" connections are outgoing data. Windows can't do that by default, it will only receive data through port 80. And many of those others are just for DNS Teredo, the network status icon, activation services, etc. This test was literally manipulated so that Windows would make as much connections as possible in an as short time as possible. Honestly. If you don't activate Windows, it will go nuts trying to confirm the validity of your license causing it to try to connect with other IPs multiple times, many of the IPs in this list are just the activation servers. And there's nothing wrong with that. If I'm not wrong, Windows performs a network connection test for the network icon in the system tray at least every 30 seconds. So in the timespan of this "test", that on its own is already at least responsible for 960 connections over multiple IPs. And again, there is nothing wrong with that. The 94.245.121.253-IP, the #1 spot, is Teredo. Again nothing wrong with that.

The laughs come around when you go to #3 and #4. When you get there, you should really be scratching your head to whether or not you should take this serious any further. The IP-addresses listed on #3 and #4 are respectively 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.255. Together making up for another 1232 connections in this test. Anyone with basic knowledge knows that this is just plain wrong (well, it's not wrong in that these connections where maid, it's wrong to what these connections are devoted). First of all, these are the first and last IPs within their range. Second of all, it's within the 192.168-range. That's a range for local networks. No internet required.

Seriously, most of these connections can be reproduced on any other OS. Plenty of OS's connect with local connections, check for the network indicator, etc, etc. There's is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

14. Studio384

Studio384 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2015
    He said that it "ISN'T", not that it is.

15. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    til foil hats are at it again yet they have facebook twitter and they are on forums lol the stupidity is alive and well

16. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Haven't you heard ?
    Tin foil hats only serve to amplify the signals. :p

I will concede that stupidity is very much alive and well, exactly like the willful ignorance which go directly against the principals upon which this country ( USA ) was founded.

P.S. No facebook or twit account here. ;)

17. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011