EVGA 780i FTW BIOS help...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by teknomedic, Oct 6, 2008.

1. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    #1 teknomedic, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    Need Award BIOS "backp" or "ripping" help...

Upated... BIOS Backup failed....

Anyone have an EVGA 780i FTW BIOS so I can save my PC?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Thanks for the help... the BIOS you linked to is infact the EVGA 780i (non-FTW) board so that BIOS won't work for me... they're still working on the FTW board version (from my understanding).

In truth the BIOS between the 780i and 780i FTW is probably the same... but since the BIOS numbering is different and the board is a slightly version change... I don't want to risk flashing it until I have the correct 780i FTW BIOS provided.

At any rate I'll try what you suggested... and just to double check, the two methods you listed would give me the correct "BIN" type file for the BIOS modders to work with?

Thanks again,
    TK.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The backup will be in the format of the bios installed, yes:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Oh man....

I tried to use awdflash to backup my BIOS...

...now I have no BIOS. :eek:

My PC is asking for a floppy disk and I'm assuming it's trying to re-flash my BIOS but there's no BIOS available online for my motherboard yet. I called EVGA tech support as well... and they don't have access to the BIOS that ships with the board so they suggested I RMA. :mad:

Does anyone in the house have an EVGA 780i FTW board and can provide me with a BIOS BIN file so I can save my PC?

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It did not ask to backup bios before flash? This should have been happening..What about the uniflash..did you try it?

7. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    the idea was to backup up the BIOS without flashing...

I used the Awdflash and command "/pn"... which (from what I understood)... skips the flashing part, but still reads/backs up the current BIOS.

It seemed to work and I did get a file... only it was 128kb instead of 1024kb. Then after the restart my computer has no BIOS and the emergency BIOS flash program is running trying to save my computer.

I didn't try uniflash as I figured the Awdflash would work just as well... guess not.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    without the switches, it askes first for a full backup titled "backup.bin" before it asks to flash...you have choices troughout....

I never use the switches for this..I should have elaborated....sorry:eek:

9. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    probably a case of me being too smart for my own good.... I figured the award program would require a BIOS.bin before asking to backup the BIOS... so I looked up the awdflash command switches and away I went...

...still might have failed without the switch... but I'll never know now, lol.

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  11. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    lol... that's my post.... and I'm already asking for help about this on their main "780i" page as well... no luck here or there... so far anyway.

12. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    May I sugest using HWDirect ?

Install and open hwdirect, go to memory dump. Enter fff00000 and size 100000 , press dump.
    Right click into window, select all, right click again, copy. Paste as new file into winhex. (Open winhex and press Shift + insert key) Make sure ASCII-hex is selected. Save file and upload, please!
    To get Hwdirect to run under 64 bit, press F8 at startup and disable driver enforcement. This will last for one session only and allows Hwdirect to run.

If WinHex doesnt works for you try using HexWorksop.
    Use the paste special function to insert the copyed strings.

13. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    that just went about 500 miles over my head... have you got the right thread?

If this might help me... I fail to see how as I can't boot my PC beyond the emergency recovery BIOS flasher.

I'm using my wife's computer to post for help.

14. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Problem solved...

I was provided the BIOS file from another FTW owner... I guess you can use the nVidia program "nTune" to backup the BIOS safely... that's what the other owner did and it worked for me like a charm.

TK.