EVGA / XFX / Zotac 780i / 790i BIOS ARCHIVE (DELL SLIC v2.1 & SLP Activation)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by chinobino, Feb 4, 2011.

1. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hi hassenpheffer,

You will need to force flash your motherboard with a BIOS for the reference EVGA 790i ULTRA (BIOS ID 6A61MB02).

You will need to use Awardflash v8.65 to force flash the BIOS with the following switches;

awd865 BIOS.BIN /py /wb /cd

You must use all of the switches, especially /wb (write bootblock) as the BIOS ID is found in the bootblock and in your case needs to be over-written with the bootblock from a reference EVGA 790i Ultra.

You may receive the message "The program file's part number does not match with your system!" if you try to use a version of Awardflash later than v8.65 to do the force flash (and the flash will likely not be successful).

If you are unsure of what to do or have any questions let me know - I will try to check this thread for replies.

2. SJ88

SJ88 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2013
    Hi chinobino,

I have recently needed to upgrade my bios and I stumbled upon this thread, sorry for resurrecting this thread that's gone to the grave numerous times.

I have an asus striker II extreme, it was my first self built PC and is still going strong today.
    As such I have recently been looking to upgrade it with more ram, from the apparent maximum 8GB limit.

I done a lot of research before going and buying some ram to upgrade with where there was reports (and now another from a few posts back) that the evga P09 bios was allowing people to run 16GB.

So I took the risk (the cost of sending back the parts if incompatible) to try and run it on the ASUS bios, this failed but not all that badly, it gave me hope, after testing all the ram it all worked fine (2 sets of 2x4GB sticks) but it capped it at 8GB, the LCD poster got to memcount and just reset, the intro animation played and everything.

So I then decided after reading all these posts and more research to force flash the striker II extreme to the evga 790i bios.
    after a couple of setting changes in the bios I got all 16GB of ram to work (notably I currently got them at a low 1066mhz but still...)

So the extreme is capable of doing this, like other 790i boards but there is a bios software lock at 8GB.
    This is where I got really excited reading you 'had' a striker II extreme! if you still have it, would you be willing to investigate the possibility of finding the cap and raising it (ore removing it?!)

the evga bios options (and even layout) is far inferior of that of the ASUS bios and options, I am starting to realize how lucky I was to have all those options and would absolutely love to get them back with 16GB of ram

Before people say I dont need the extra ram though, I do a lot of multi tasking and stuff like video editing and constantly fill the 8GB up (seen so many posts on the internet with people advising not to bother getting more ram!) I am astonished that this motherboard is still going as strong as it is - to the point where I can still play any game on max settings - a true testament to nVidia, Asus and intel (6 year old cpu still going strong!)

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, if you could by chance help me out here I would be extremely grateful!

3. cetverooki

cetverooki MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2014
    Just for a record:

I have Dell XPS 730 motherboard (nforce 790i chipset and socket 775) and I have flashed bios from XFX and HP Blackbird and motherboard works fine. My motherboard has same layout as reference board so I have assumed that same bios would work. I have flashed it using flashrom program from Ububntu.

4. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hi cetverooki, welcome to MDL and thanks for the confirmation!

I have never tried to flash a BIOS using Linux so that is good to know :).

5. urgodfather

urgodfather MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2014
    Custom variant of the bios

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but these two post I've found pretty useful to achieve my goal.
    I believe that I have this same system. I actually even have a spare board with bios chip if needed.

I understand the procedure, however I do have a few questions before forcing the modded bios onto the system.

1. What exactly will be the end result by forcing this bios other than the slic? Will the bios image be changed from the Alienware?

2. If so, would it be easier to just post the appropriate bios and request the table to be added? Or use the one provided, and then go back and change the image back?

3. ***Slightly off topic*** Being that this is an EVGA build for Alienware, What exactly would need to be modified so that this http:/ /forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15733-Win-8-x-%95-Win-7-%95-Vista-Multi-OEM-ISO-Project (cannot post links yet) will detect the system as Alienware and apply the appropriate theme and cert or will it detect the slic as being a dell and apply it? (If so, I can just swap out the files so it will use all alienware theming when reading a dell.)

I will mention, I am ok with having to do the work myself to achieve the goal I have set, but pointing me in the right direction as to how would be more than greatly appreciated. The end goal is to have this (a) system flag as an Alienware with the (b) oem kit in conjunction with (c) Anarethos Recovery tools. Parts (b) and (c) I have working together already, just trying how to apply this practice to this particular system (a).

I do not intend to thread jack so feel free to PM me with suggestions etc. Thanks for help in advance.

6. urgodfather

urgodfather MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks for replying so quickly. :)

Yep, that would be it and that would be one of the reasons why I would like to keep the Alienware branding.

I've had to do this several times on other brand machines, HP's mostly. I'm familiar with creating a recovery disc both floppy and usb and have access to either. Plus as I mentioned before, I also have a spare DOA MoBo with a good (removable) bios chip as a safety net too.

These are really good links. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Ive used modified bios' for years on tons of systems, but haven't learned how to do so myself.

I would like to have it use SLIC 2.1... but what I meant was, if we used a dell SLIC table, would it cause the oem query tool that I mentioned before to see it as a Dell or as an Alienware b/c the OEM branding in the bios? Thats the part that I haven't gotten a full understanding of. Either way, it looks as if I'm going to have to power up the beast and try to get a bios dump before it causes a blackout on my neighborhood block. hehe

Specs as follows:
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w PSU
    EVGA Nvidia Ultra 790i Alienware Version
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850
    2x 1.75 GB DDR3 Nvidia GTX 295
    16 GB Corsair Vengence Ram
    2x Samsung EVO 840 250 GB in RAID 0
    2x Seagate 1TB buik HDD

My main mission is to set everything up as I mentioned before with the custom recovery so I can finally move this system along and reallocate my funds toward building a FreeNAS/NAS4Free box with owncloud using a HP N54L Microserver. By configuring it with the recovery tools and the OEM (which is freaking awesome packed in on a rebuilt multi-version Win7 disc) and SLIC 2.1 in the bios, who ever buys it shouldn't have any reason to bother me with questions like where's the disc (which I lost) blah blah blah. Besides, I definitely wouldn't want them coming to my work (as I'm a PC Technician) asking me to fix the computer, reinstall windows (b/c they boogered it up with viruses and crap), etc. My boss wouldn't appreciate that too much.

Thanks again for your help

7. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
  8. ati2003

ati2003 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Great Post!!!

People, I have a EVGA 132-CK-NF78 with P10 BIOS, and Sisoftware Sandra told me that there's a new BIOS update number P5P. Do you know where can I find it?, because at EVGA webpage the last version is P10 (also in this page list).

Thank you.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @ati2003

Don't rely on such informations by those tools; usually EVGA page gives you the latest one (in this case, P10).

10. FeckinEgit

FeckinEgit MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2014
    Hi I have previously posted in another forum and thankfully sent to this post but I am still unable to flash. I have a XFX 780i motherboard with a fried bios chip which I replaced with a bios chip from a EVGA 780i motherboard. I am using USB DOS boot, AWD865 trying to Flash 7B1N2P10.BIN, I was trying to flash normally and I was getting "The program file's part number does not match with your system!". After reading your post I started using "awd865 7B1N2P10.BIN /py /wb /cd". AWD865 was locking up on me more times than not and refusing to backup bios (I did eventually get a backup) and I was still getting "The program file's part number does not match with your system!" After reading through the posts on this thread I started using "awd865 7B1N2P10.BIN /py /wb /cd /sn" but I am still getting "The program file's part number does not match with your system!" and awd865 still locks up a little but not as often but still to no avail. Help please. Where am I going wrong? :confused:

11. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hi FeckinEgit, sry for late reply I have been away from home.

Can you update your EVGA 780i board to the official P9 BIOS?

12. Ammar Anwar

Ammar Anwar MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2017
    Hello hope every one doing fine... i have a problem Evga 790i ultra sli 132-CK-NF79 (P10 bios) when i insert core 2 Quad Q9650(3.0 12mb 1333Mhz) in mobo its keep on restarting at boot screen. while it work fine with QX9650(Core 2Extreme). what i have to do please help me thanks.

13. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Did you try clearing CMOS?

If that fails then disconnect the power from the wall and remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard and leave it for an hour or so and try again,

If that doesn't work then you could try reflashing the BIOS.

Also, make sure there are no bent pins in the socket and that the heatsink is properly/securely mounted.

14. Ammar Anwar

Ammar Anwar MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2017
    Thanks for replying,,, yes i did it too flashed bios couples of time , even downgraded the bios too still facing same :(

15. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Can you get into BIOS or is it rebooting before it POST's?

16. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I had an XFX 790i and it worked with QX9650 and Q9650 - EVGA is the same board with different boot logo.

Maybe try removing all other hardware and boot with 1 stick of RAM?

17. Ammar Anwar

Ammar Anwar MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2017