EVGA / XFX / Zotac 780i / 790i BIOS ARCHIVE (DELL SLIC v2.1 & SLP Activation)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by chinobino, Feb 4, 2011.

1. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    If the BIOS is slow to respond it can indicate CPU/Northbridge/Southbridge overheating (poor heatsink contact) or corrupt BIOS settings or another piece of hardware may be faulty.

What graphics card(s) have you installed? Newer models such as GTX 10x0 series may cause problems.

1. Check CPU, Northbridge and Southbridge temperature under hardware monitoring, what temps are they?

2. Clear CMOS on the motherboard and take the battery out and leave the motherboard unplugged from the power supply (to allow the capacitors to discharge) then check if BIOS is still slow.

3. Strip the board down to minimal hardware e.g. CPU, graphics card & 1 stick of RAM, make sure to remove all hard drives, optical drives (CD/DVD) and floppy drive then retest.

If all of that fails you may have a faulty CPU, PSU or motherboard.

I would try another power supply if you have one spare.

As a last resort you could try to flash the motherboard BIOS but it may fail and brick the motherboard if the motherboard is not operating properly - try at your own risk!

2. pipes80

pipes80 MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2011
    io think and watch from award bios editor then system bios is very slow to navigate, little well with a ps/2 keyboard but always slow, it's problem not have striker II extreme then have a good navitaged speed with system bios in award bios editor

3. MachineLearning

MachineLearning MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2022
    Hello,

Massive necro, I know, but I've been looking for older versions of EVGA BIOSes for the 750i FTW, 780i FTW, & 790i FTW. However, they appear to have stopped hosting them on their site years ago (only the newest version now), and the old FTP server is down. By any chance, would you happen to have these old BIOS versions?
    Kind thanks for your time. :)

4. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    @MachineLearning

Hi, I only have the latest BIOS for each. I never owned those boards so never downloaded the older BIOS - sorry, not much help.

I noticed you posted on EVGA forums, hopefully Lee can help you.

5. MachineLearning

MachineLearning MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2022
    No worries mate, appreciate the response. :)

6. _Old_school_

_Old_school_ MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2023
    Hello,

Recently my friend gave me his old mb, xfx 790i. After changing some caps got it to work, so I decided to make old powerful pc from 2009: xfx 790i, xeon 5472 and when I was time to choose ram I found out that there is some bios version which gives you possibility of using 16gb on 1600 but I saw on some forums that it's not compatible with sli but I wanted to use 3-way sli. Can somebody confirm that if it works with sli or not, and if it does, which bios version should I use?
    Will be thankful if somebody could help.

7. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #67 chinobino, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    (OP)
    @_Old_school_ Hi, I ran a QX9650 on an XFX 790i with 16GB RAM (2 x 8GB DDR3 DIMMS) and 2 x GTX 280's in SLI (and also tested 2 x GTX 580 with 1.5GB VRAM in SLI which also worked).

1824_8-9-9-24_1T_52.8ns_P1_Enabled_&_P2_Enabled_BEST_FSB_&_RAM_COMBO.jpg

If the XFX 790i won't post with 16GB RAM and the P10 BIOS then try P09.

I also ran a Xeon X3380 on an Asus Striker II Extreme (790i Ultra) with 2 x 8GB RAM with no issues.

1838 1838 8-8-8-22 2T tRC 40 P1 & P2 ENABLED 49.0ns.jpg

The more graphics cards you add, the more RAM you will need.

8. _Old_school_

_Old_school_ MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2023
    Thank you for the information, I will try then and see if it works! Btw I need to thank you for all your job which you have done on this forum, only because of you this motherboards can be used now! :clap3:

9. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009