Explorer crashes (linked to ntdll.dll) after resetting to factory settings!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Synaptic machines, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Synaptic machines

Synaptic machines MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2013
    Hey everybody

Having problems with my laptop (ASUS K93SV) related to Audio lagging and strange CPU use, I decided to go back to factory settings. After backing up all my stuff, here we go, using the recovery partition. Windows is 7 home premium 64bits

Everything went smoothly. I was starting to get rid of the bloatware, then padabam! repetitive Explorer crashes... Here's what the event viewer is telling me:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144
    Faulting module name: ASUSWSShellExt64.dll, version: 1.1.0.27, time stamp: 0x4c7f631d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000051da
    Faulting process id: 0x%9
    Faulting application start time: 0x%10
    Faulting application path: %11
    Faulting module path: %12
    Report Id: %13

Quite standard I must say, when I read the other threads

I have been trying many things suggested or not in this forum:
    _ Removed all non-essential software
    _ Safe mode: the problems remains
    _ reinstalled the recovery partition: Problem remains
    _ in admin mode, did a sfc /scannow. The log file showed errors, but for me it is just Chinese... I can send it to anyone that could translate it

I am not a computer geek, a musician, so I am starting to find a pirate version of Win 7, as I obviously got robbed by the OEM... But would like a more elegant solution... Basically after a full day wasted on this, I am desperate...

So in advance, many thanks to any of you that could help!

Greetings

Edouard

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #2 Carlos Detweiller, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    Faulting module name: ASUSWSShellExt64.dll, version: 1.1.0.27, time stamp: 0x4c7f631d
    That's the important line. Looks like that DLL is part of ASUS WebStorage software. Try to get a newer version of that software, and also do the Windows Updates. Then the error will likely disappear.

3. Synaptic machines

Apr 22, 2013
    #3 Synaptic machines, Apr 22, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks Carlos,

Unfortunately I can't test it right now, as I found some Recovery Disks that I had done shortly after buying the PC. So am trying these. If the problem remains, I will make sure to check your solution out, and definitely get rid of this bloatware too!

Grtz

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. Synaptic machines

Apr 22, 2013

Oh, that's another option - I am currently downloading it (from my old desktop under XP = my savior lol), but shouldn't it be the same version of Windows (Win7 premium 64 bits) ? If so can you send me the appropriate link? and elaborate your explanation? I am really a Noob when it comes to installing an OS... (for example what is MSDN media?)

On the back of my laptop there is the sticker with a key that looks likes a Windows key, This is the one you mention as the key I suppose. There are other numbers, what will be the ASUS cert number?

Before sending the msg, I enquired on this digitalriver thing, I actually am downloading this one instead (premium 64bits)
    h_ttp://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso
    correct ?

Thanks for your help!
    PS: I can't post links in the forum hence h_ttp instead of http

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    With SLIC 2.1 in BIOS you can use and activate every edition of Windows 7.
    MSDN = MicroSoft Developer Network. These media are directly from MS, Genuine and without OEM modifications. They are used as reference for many procedures here.
    No, the sticker key (COA) is not involved in OEM:SLP activation.

You simply install the edition of your choice and then use Daz Windows Loader to insert certificate and key. The actual bootloader installation will be skipped since it is not needed in your case.

7. Synaptic machines

Apr 22, 2013
    #7 Synaptic machines, Apr 23, 2013
    (OP)
    I think I am going to Bookmark this thread - such great info - A new world to me!

The problem is solved but I am still keeping my downloaded iso file ;-)

Carlos, Many thanks - you were correct. The DVD recovery was actually very similar to what I had on the recovery partition. First thing I removed the Webstorage crap. soft, and I had no issue since (Am using the computer for 2 hours now...)

Tito, Carlos, I do not know how to thank you guys. Oh maybe I do. As i said I am a musician. And you helped me solve a problem with one of my working tools. So, name any of the tracks you want, you get them free ready tagged for your mp3 on simple request (my music blends electro and world music). You can listen to them here: h*ttp://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines or here h*ttp://synaptic-machines.bandcamp.com

It's the least I can do...

Be well,

Edouard

(* remove the star in the http to get the link)