Explorer process(es) still open after closing Explorer windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Feb 19, 2013.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

Having a strange problem here. :eek:

I use Sysinternals Process Explorer to occasionally check out what's happening with my Win7x64 system. Since the system was new, there are usually several instances of old (closed) Explorer windows still showing process handles in PE, even though they have long been closed and do not show up in Task Manager. For instance, I might open my C:\Tools folder then close it. After closing the window, the process remains open even though the window has been closed and no longer shows in Task Manager. I can unload the process using PE and it doesn't return...

I had another issue awhile back with Firefox having solid connections to the outside (as viewed with Sysinternals TCPView) even though FF had long been closed and there was no indication in PE or TM of any running FF process. Now I'm connecting these "rogue" Explorer instances to the external connections. When no Explorer processes are running except the main shell, I only have 2 FF localhost connections, but when the rogue Explorer processes are running without any visible windows, there are connections established to external IP addresses.

So, does anyone else here have these Explorer processes running well after closing the actual window? And what's your take on this phenomenon? :dunno:

Russ

2. Adam999

Adam999 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    Are the Explorer processes not shown in the Windows Task Manages - Processes tab?

3. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I'll have to wait until this happens again, as it's an occasional thing. I've not checked the processes column in TM, but they're prolly there...

Russ

4. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    #4 KMcWilliams, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    I do not have win7 installed yet, doing that this week as I am getting new hardware. Any yes, I know win8 is out there, not even remotely interested.

but to your question. Explorer in Windows Task manager, or any other process manager, can be a variety of things. Internet Explorer, the "file manager" Explorer, or your desktop. At least that is true in all the previous version of windows.

If you are running a windows desktop, explorer is what is providing the desktop.

only if windows 7 still provides a "run new task" in the menu bar of task manager, try killing the process explorer. that should not kill task manager, but your desktop is going to disappear.

Click on run "new task", type " explorer " and hit the enter ( return ) key or click the button.

to those more knowlegable about win7 than I, if this feature has been removed, or changed in some way, please correct me, and the information I have provided.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    New Task (Run...) is still there.