ext hard drive combine volume/ low level format?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holden von Vloppen, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    It's a long story of BS that I won't bore you with, but I've inherited a 1 TB Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive that's not set up the way I want it. There's no data on it that I need. I've wiped it.

However, it's not set up the way I want it. It's partitioned (according to the Win 7 Computer Management) with an 850 GB partition and an 81.06 GB one and then has inexplicably 9 MB of unallocated space. I don't want that. I just want the entire available space formatted into one volume.

I've tried using the “extend volume” command with Win 7's computer management, but it says something to the effect of, “Operation not supported.” I've tried a similar command with Easus Partition Manager and got the same results.

I just want the whole stupid thing formatted under the same volume. There's no data that needs to be saved. Is there a tool on the DOS prompt that will do this or perhaps a Windows-based tool?

Or is what I need a low-level format tool? I've downloaded something named HDD Low Level Format Tool.

2. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
  3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    #3 jayblok, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    Thanks, AlexAlba and Jayblok. I was successful. I used that video to regain control via the diskpart command line tool. (I also saved in my notes that you can format with a Win 7 install disk). I had to do it a little differently than the man in the video. The Win 7 disk management tool still wouldn't combine the two after I unallocated just the 86 GB partition. After I also unallocated the 850 gig one, the Windows disk management tool was still giving me problems, but I successfully did it with Easus Partition Manager.

Thanks again to you both for your help. The backup files are now copying over to the drive.

5. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    You're welcome ;)

6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    no problem! i love the diskpart command line tool because for some reason i tend to gain more GB space in hard drives/flashdrives/SD memory cards :)

7. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    I had never used it before. I've looked up more info on it and put it into my bag of tricks. Another thought I had was to boot to a Linux-based Gparted CD and use it to turn the whole thing into an NTFS partition. However, I'm always a little leery of using a different OS for a disk I'll be using under Windows 7. That's not to badmouth Linux. I've used Ubuntu and love it, but better to play it safe and format with the OS you'll be using, IMO.