Extracting HP bios from softpack/ bios update?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by matt167, Dec 9, 2013.

1. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm working on a friends laptop which is an old Compaq Presario C500.. She wants it cleaned up and upgraded to Win 7 which requires a bios mod. I've done several now but never had to deal with the HP softpack exe's. I installed the softpack on my computer knowing that it would error, but found that it did drop the files in the C drive and I do have a .wph in both winflash folders. When I put it into phoenix tool, it see's it as a legit bios with SLIC 2.0 but it does not know the brand manufacture and I have to manually add HP.. Just need to make sure that I can use Plash16 to flash the bios on this without bricking and that the bios will work. Any insight?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks.. That failed along with an attempt of mine. Could not get phlash16 to work and then my memory key I use as a dos boot drive quit recognizing so I gave up. First one I have ever had not work but the computer is old, missing keys and has weak hinges so I wasn't going to put much time into it.. Now runs Win 7 Pro with Daz's Loader. Still have to get the ram out of her other busted laptop so that I can upgrade this laptop a bit.