Failed System Image

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HelpMe, Jul 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. HelpMe

HelpMe MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi guys, i need some serious help here, right now i am writing from a pos of a computer and i just screwed up my main one. I had created a system image a few days ago and a few hours ago i eventually went through restoring the system image. However after the system completed the process and is about too load up, it just freezes at the boot screen. I am unable to boot into safe mode or bios mode if i leave the hardrive plugged in. I know the harddrive should be working fine, just something must have messed up, it is a sata drive. I have tried using another harddrive that has xp installed on it and when i have both drives plugged in, it will fail too load up xp, however if i remove the corrupted drive xp will load up fine, i will then try too plug in the corrupt drive hoping that xp will be able to detect it, however this does not seem too work as well, so i can't format it. Does anyone know any tips i can try too detect/recover this drive?

I have also tried, loadin up the windows 7 disc and then plug in the harddrive, but it fails too find any drives as well.

Did the same with Ubuntu and it wasn't able to detect any drives/partitions.

I know there is a way too fix this because i came across this problem before and was able too fix it.

Windows 7 32bit
    Sata drive

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Are both drives sata drives ?
    Do both show up in the BIOS setup ?
    How many sata ports on the motherboard ? Tried swapping drive to another port ?
    Tried any disk partitioning/diagnostic tools ?
    Is it possible the disk is actually damaged and was simply ready to fail anyway ?

There are so many questions about this that need eliminating to work through to a solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    You should be able to get into BIOS with no hdd's connected!! If its not seen in the BIOS or you can't boot into BIOS with it connected i would say the hdd is borked or that sata port is.

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #4 spacednow, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    I had this problem with a drive... my MB seen it and windows wanted to do a disk check before starting. It would never finish though. Then I tried skipping the check, and even though it wasn't listed for a boot disk, my puter would freeze and not finish booting. What I finally did (NOT recommending this) was leave the drive power plugged in, boot up and then insert the sata cable. My pute would then want to reboot, but if I chose that I was back to square 1. This can cause damage, but I got lucky and it worked (just didn't reboot like it asked). Just throwing this out there, this method CAN cause serious damage. EDIT- I re-read your post and you tried this, sorry :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...