Fast Startup not working Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by maxb2000, Jan 5, 2014.

1. maxb2000

maxb2000 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi,

Fast startup not working in Windows 8.1 (clean install). The boot time is 50-60 seconds but I don't know why beacuse I don't have any driver issues (I have the latest drivers and sleep is working without problems).

My PC:

Gigabyte B85-D2V
    Intel Core G3220
    4 GB RAM Kingstone
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
    GT 630 GDDR5 1 GB (doesn't support UEFI boot)

The windows has been installed in UEFI and Ultra Fast Startup enabled in UEFI. Secure boot disabled beacuse graphics card doesn't support it.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Are you using Windows Defender or a third party antivirus software?

I ask because there are still some third party antivirus software out there that will cause Windows 8.1 to take a long time to load.

If you are using a third party antivirus, uninstall it, enable Windows Defender and reboot, you will see a dramatic difference in boot time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. maxb2000

maxb2000 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2012
    I even disabled Windows Defender! I found a trick finally:

Reboot the PC- > Shutdown it - > now shut down it again and the startup will be 15 seconds.

Now I don't know how much this will work...The strange part is on my older machine the boot time on legacy BIOS (old hardware from 2008) it was 9-10 seconds and now I don't know why on newer hardware is taking 4-5 seconds longer.That old machine had Windows 8 not 8.1.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    could be any number of things look in task manager for start up programs and disable crap like "AcroTray", "Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher", "Dropbox", VMware Tray Process" and anything else non-essential.

I actually run a 5 second delay from bios to give an old external hard drive time activate prior to Win8.1 booting or it doesn't initialize. 5 seconds, 10 seconds I don't notice. Not like there is a race for me to see the oh so beautiful lock screen of win8.1 lol