Fax-modem installation on windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by submariner, Apr 6, 2011.

1. submariner

submariner MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2010
    I did a search first but could not find a link to this topic.
    I used my "USB ADSL-P Modem" from my son's 1st PC for the windows 7 fax set-up.It recognized the modem which is connected to the same analog telephone supply as my PC and gives the message that "all fax accounts are accessible".However, when I send a fax, {I'm testing it on "fax toy"} it shows in the outbox pending.If I go to tools,fax settings, the 'select a modem is "grayed-out".
    Should I do a system restore and and try the modem detection again?

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    First thing you might want to do is check the Windows 7 Compatibility website and see if the device is listed as being compatible. If it's there, you'll find it in the Hardware section under the manufacturer's name.

Doing a system restore because something fails to work the first time is a little extreme I'd think. I'd delete the device, reboot and see what happens. And check the website.

One of my machines has an internal Fax-Modem and it works fine. So I know 7 does support at least one of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Don't think it is possible, Fax requires an analogue Fax Modem you need to send dialtone to dial number for fax.

4. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    It's impossible. Fax Modem send data as analog signal but ADSL Modem/Router send/receive data as digital signal. If Phone/Fax signal and ADSL signal have the same line, you need a filter/spliter to join/split analog signal with/from the line to use with Phone/Fax device.