Fedora 26 Final -- Released

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GOD666, Jul 11, 2017.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  2. neo-alchemist

neo-alchemist MDL Novice

May 23, 2017
    Fedora gives a first class pure GNOME experience. Every little feature makes you feel years ahead of most distros. It's not something you can easily recreate with Arch. They really integrate things, add new sections to GNOME Software, such as "Fonts, Localization, Codecs, etc." and the bug report tool is a dream. Very automated.

3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I am confused by your comment since Arch Linux can be used to build things directly from the source. I use both Fedora and Arch and Gnome is identical unless you're using someone else's pre-made packaging.

4. neo-alchemist

neo-alchemist MDL Novice

May 23, 2017
    I agree, it can be done in Arch. I did a good job on mine few weeks ago.

Unfortunately, it didn't show package information correctly in GNOME Software. Some open source apps had "proprietary" red labels on them; "Source", "Developer", "last updated" and other properties didn't show. Updating pacman through Software didn't work either. It didn't seem like it was made to be distro agnostic. All these little details work with Fedora. It's the details, you know? The moment you install Fedora Workstation and login, the little differences are there, opening up for you.

Some people won't be bothered by this. I'm actually OK with it. I can update through the terminal, build from the AUR... perfectly. But these details reinforce what makes some users call a distro "home", see? Fedora puts everything together very well. Some things won't be the same in Arch, but that's how it is for now.

I just had a misunderstanding few hours ago. I can't understand why I always cause problems when I speak about GNU/Linux. It's an innocent comment.

5. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Problems? You're not in trouble with anyone for having an opinion. Opinions are like a-holes, we all have one. :p