Fingerprint Reader not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soretito, Aug 30, 2015.

1. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    OMG. We haven't even touched on this aspect of Win10 in the spying thread(s). :rolleyes:

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    it only works local..... period.

3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    One thing that no one has mentioned yet: Are you currently signing in using a password? Or did you take the opportunity during the installation process to create a PIN number instead of a password? The fingerprint scanner can only be enabled if you have a PIN available, not a password.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. soretito

soretito MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #24 soretito, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    (OP)
    didn't know about this pin thing, maybe this is the problem...

[edit] added a PIN, fingerprint still no go, removed PIN :)

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #25 odiebugs1, Sep 2, 2015
    This hardware has support for XP, Vista, Win 7, so this idea of a pin is false in a sense, and let me explain. The idea of a pin in windows 10 is due to the fact that it has Hello. So with it own Bio Metrics which require a PIN, but older versions that are supported don't have one and use the Protector.

You can try two options, first you need a uninstaller, to make sure the protector suite is totally uninstalled, then you need to plug in the reader so that it is seen in windows device MGR, now if windows can see it, then you might be able to use windows with the reader instead of installing the software which can be conflicting with windows own Bio-metrics.

So you used a uninstaller, removed all protector soft, plugged in reader and it shows in device MGR. Now you go to settings, and then accounts, now sign in options, setup password ( if not already done ) set up PIN, now you should see HELLO under pin, if windows can see the fingerprint reader, you should see Add fingerprint under the add pin, once you click on add fingerprint, now you should see Welcome to Hello, and it will guide you through the rest of the setup.

Working on second option.

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #26 odiebugs1, Sep 2, 2015
    (Microsoft and local accounts) are able to sign-in to Windows with a fingerprint by default unless Disabled.

Group policy and registry setting for Domain fingerprint login have been removed in win 10.

Just backing up your post.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #28 odiebugs1, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Did you try leaving the pin and switching the driver, either the one that came with the reader, or allow windows to update it ?

What was the uninstaller used to make sure there was no software keys left in registry ?

8. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    for uninstalling protector suite I used its own uninstaller. there is no point in using a driver that is not meant for WBF if I want to use WBF... the driver is the one provided by MS as current.

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    WBF is what windows uses with template, a reader just copies and picks up a print. The driver just allows it to be used by windows, but if you feel it does more than so be it.

You can make sure that WBF is on- type - gpedit.msc into RUN, go to Select Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics, on RT there are two settings- Allow the use, and, Allow Users to log.

You can edit these two as enabled and see if this gives you the fingerprint option in accounts, after you reboot and recheck these two options and make sure they're still enabled.

10. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    enabled both settings, rebooted and... nothing changed, and yes, they are still enabled.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    MS has no list of supported products, and they actually state they worked with OEM sellers to support what they use for Bio metrics.

I have posted everything I can think of, tried to help as much as I could. You might have to purchase a product that states it has win 10 support, as this would be tested and made sure the soft an driver work because MS hasn't listed retail products.

Sorry that you can't get it working, and I hope someone comes along that can get it working.

12. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    And I'm gratefull, I will look for a certified win10 standalone reader, quick searched amazon and found none, but I'm sure there should be many out there.

Thanks

13. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    Found no windows 10 certified biometric sensors, anyone using standalone readers on your desktops?

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Anybody knows any more devices?

sebus