FireFox addons thread.

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by blue.planet, Jan 25, 2015.

1. blue.planet

blue.planet MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2013
    In this post everyone can share the addons he using in FireFox.
    My addons list (please share yours):

adblock plus
    colorfulTabs
    Ctrl-Tab
    EagleGet
    Ghostery - privacy keeper
    Gmail Notifier
    oldbar - for who dislike the AwsomeBar
    Omnibar - make the address line like in chrome
    Pushbullet
    Quick Translator
    SafeInCloud password manager
    Simple currency converter
    Tab History redux
    unplug - media downloader from site like youtube and other

2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2014
    Pop-up Controller
    RapidFox
    Webutation
    Youtube High Definition
    Lastpass

3. toffee

toffee MDL Senior Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Does anyone know what happened with Accuweather addon for Firefox? Are they going to continue to new Firefox?

4. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    AdBlock Edge
    Bloody Vikings
    Download Helper
    FBPurity
    Ghostery
    Mega
    Reddit Enhancement Suite
    YouTube Center

5. mockingbird

mockingbird MDL Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.9 Beta 1
    Status-4-Evar 2015.01.31.02b
    Adblock Plus 2.6.7.3895

Classic Theme Restorer and Status-4-Evar work hand-in-hand. I've got Firefox looking the way it did with the StrataXP theme for years. I still use XP (x64), so I find this suits the native OS theme the best, plus, I'm used to it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    @Tito,
    Why do you accept a double post for Firefox

wiki;)

7. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    DownThemAll..

8. Pardeep

Pardeep MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Adblock plus
    download helper
    idm
    sticky password manager
    omnibox
    Quick Translator
    gmail notifier

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Because that is a Firefox browser release thread, this is a Firefox Addon thread

10. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Here's what I've got installed.

ad-ons.jpg

11. jasoos

jasoos MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2012
    AdBlock Plus
    AdBlock Plus Pop-up Adon
    Lastpass

12. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Adblock Plus
    Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar
    No Script
    Browse By Name
    Linkification
    Places Maintenance
    VT Zilla
    Download Helper
    Flagfox
    Keyword Url Hack
    Password Exporter
    Reminder Fox
    Tab Mix Plus
    The Addon Bar Restored
    RSS Icon in Url Bar
    Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

13. mackphx

mackphx MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2013
  14. Bio Hazard

Bio Hazard MDL Member

Nov 23, 2013
    #16 Bio Hazard, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    the PasswordBox extension in Firefox 36 stopped to accept my master password does anyone else have this problem?
    also icloud bookmarks extension making firefox 36 crash all the time :mad:[h=1][/h]

15. blue.planet

blue.planet MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2013
    Safe In Cloud is the best password manager.

16. moon510

moon510 MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    My current choice:

Adblock Plus
    Add Bookmark Here
    Fast Dial
    FEBE
    Ghostery
    Hola Better Internet
    RSS Icon inurl Bar
    Save-to-Read
    Tab Mix Plus
    The Addon Bar restored
    Theme & Font Size Changer
    VKontakte.ru Downloader
    WorldIP
    WOT
    Y++

17. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    #19 qwerty12, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I run a fork of Firefox, pcxFirefox. I've not done any extensive testing but it feels much faster to me. I have links, but sadly cannot add them because of my post count.

I use the following addons:
    • HTTPS Everywhere with the Google Services rule disabled, as it breaks Google Translate
    • uBlock - far faster and nicer on RAM than AdBlock Plus, there's no "acceptable ads" list to be found here
    • FT DeepDark - complete dark theme for Firefox
    • Searchonymous - isolate Google cookies accumulated from sites like YouTube tying your Google searches to a Google account (I know about DDG and Startpage; I don't like them)
    • Self Destructing Cookies
    • Click-to-play per element
    • Flash Control to block HTML5 elements from autoplaying
    • Disable F12 Shortcut
    • Viewhance - enhanced picture viewer. I like the following settings:
      • fit to height
      • body { background: black; }
    • Flash Gestures - use Firefox shortcuts even if a Flash object has focus (no more clicking elsewhere just to press Ctrl+W when on YouTube again!)
    • Flagfox
    • FindBar Tweak - I use this to get a Chrome-like findbar and for scrollbar search highlighting
    • Tab Mix Plus - adds many things; I'm a fan of the multi-row tabbar
    • Wladimir Palant's Suspend Background Tabs - this one suspends background scripts when switching tabs to save CPU
    • Piro's Suspend Tab - use the latest-Fx compatible version from the author's site. It's the only tab suspender compatible with the latest Fx, when I last checked. This one saves the state of the tab and unloads it entirely after a set amount of time to save RAM. I choose to not have it unload HTTPS sites automatically
    • YouTube Center Developer Build
    • Greasemonkey. I use the following scripts:
      • Direct Google - rewrite Google search links to point directly to the site. This one is my favorite as it works with JS disabled, too
      • antiBeforeunload - remove beforeunload handlers on sites (no more "are you sure you want to close this site" prompts)
      • AdsBypasserLite - skip adfly etc. rubbish
      • Handy Image - go directly to the image on many image hosting sites
      • Anti-Adblock Killer - attempt to remove adblock detection on sites
      • f**k f**kAdBlock - like above for a certain type of protection
      • AntiAdware - on cyberlocker sites, remove links to get their virus-laden downloads and automatically untick the offer to install McAfee with Flash etc.
      • YouTube Link Title - replace YouTube links on sites with the title of the YouTube video and show a thumbnail of the video when hovering over the link
      • YouTube - Right Side Description - show the YouTube description on the right of the page, instead
      • Add Spotify to YouTube - show Spotify links for music videos you watch on YouTube
      • Aptoide Downloader APK Downloader - get the one without a dependency on jQuery. This script adds direct download links for APKs on aptoide, saving you the need to install their probably-dodgy downloader app on your phone
    • Pure URL - remove tracking tags from URLs. I add the following to its list: accel_key, click_id, offerid, tag, camp, creative
    • Stylish. I use the following userstyles to either customize Fx or to make sites darker:
      • Darker urlbar + searchbar textbox for FT DeepDark
      • Firefox: move Paste and Go(Search) to Top2nd
      • Squared scrollbars style for FT DeepDark
      • Firefox - Adjust White Flash when opening New Tab
      • Dark Grey Firefox [about:blank] [about:newtab]
      • Userstyles Noir
      • ELIAN ? Google Search Modern Dark
      • Dark Wikipedia Rounded
      • Dark YouTube Nights
      • GitHub Dark:
        • Monokai
        • No background
        • Courier
      • GitHub Wide
      • Mozilla.org inverted:
        • I add #footer { display: none; } under "mozilla.org"
      • AMO: Always displays extended informations
      • GreasyFork.org - Black & Orange [PocketAppZ]
      • FT DeepDark custom "about Firefox" popup
        • I remove #leftBox because I hate the Firefox logo it adds
      • Stackoverflow Dark
    • Imagus - far more capable when compared to Thumbnail Zoom Plus, I recommend disabling its YouTube sieve if you're using YouTube Center and going to Imagus' homepage and downloading and importing the Hover Zoom-like settings
    • Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar - I use this for the Chrome-like behavior of only showing the bookmarks toolbar on a new tab only
    • New Tab Tools - since I set my homepage to about:newtab, I use this to get features from the homepage back on the newtab screen
    • S3.Google Translator - this one does inline translating of entire sites, like Chrome
    • InlineDisposition Reloaded
    • Automatic Save Folder - use the beta version from the author's site. This one lets you save files to different folders based on the criteria you give it
    • OpenDownload^2
    • Download Panel Tweaker - show more downloads etc. in the panel
    • Contextual Google Image Search - an extension adding Google reverse image search to images. Seems to interfere the least compared to its counterparts
    • Clear Search 2 - clear what was in the search field after pressing enter, but be aware that pressing Ctrl-Z will reveal what was in there
    • Bloody Vikings - an extension to make using those fake email sites much, much easier
    • Slim Add-ons Manager - show more extensions in the addons list
    • BehindTheOverlay - adds a toolbar button that closes those annoying overlays covering the website's content

My userContent.css file looks like this:
    Code:
    @-moz-document url("about:addons") {
    #category-discover { display: none !important; }
    #category-service  { display: none !important; }
    }
    This hides the AMO and the online services tabs from the Addon Manager.

I use pyllyukko's user.js file, with his recommended settings for security. However, I'm a lazy person and willing to sacrifice security (and I'm really not an expert in that area to start with) for the sake of easiness. Here's what I comment out:

• browser.download.useDownloadDir - I like my files going to one folder
    • browser.fixup.alternate.enabled - I like domain guessing
    • javascript.options.methodjit.* - maybe it provides another avenue for malicious code to run, but I'm also aware of how Firefox isn't the fastest browser out there. I'll use any option Firefox provides to boost its performance.
    • dom.storage.enabled - sadly, more and more sites rely on this HTML5 feature
    • browser.newtab.preload - while I agree disabling "enhanced" new tabs is a good idea, I imagine preloading speeds up the showing of the NTP, so, as above, I'll leave it enabled
    • network.dns.disablePrefetch
    • browser.search.suggest.enabled
    • security.mixed_content.block_display_content - Firefox already blocks running scripts from HTTP sources on HTTPS pages, I can live with images etc. being shown from insecure sites on secure pages
    • privacy.donottrackheader.enabled - ad etc. companies of the Internet don't care about this setting. Use uBlock with privacy lists instead. All you're doing is making your footprint more unique on the Internet
    • network.http.sendRefererHeader - sadly, I wish I could leave this on, but I've found sites break with it. If this is important to use, check out addons like RefControl
    • browser.sessionstore.*
    • browser.privatebrowsing.autostart
    • extensions.ghostery.privateBrowsing
    • privacy.sanitize.sanitizeOnShutdown
    • privacy.clearOnShutdown.*
    • places.history.enabled
    • network.cookie.* - use Self-Destructing cookies instead
    • browser.cache.*
    • signon.rememberSignons
    • browser.history_expire_*
    • browser.download.manager.retention
    • browser.formfill.*
    • browser.newtabpage.enabled
    • plugins.update.notifyUser - useful, but I was getting a new tab with this info everytime I started Firefox, even with everything up to date
    • browser.urlbar.*
    • layout.css.visited_links_enabled - sadly, a site I frequent makes heavy use of this; else, I'd disable this without a second thought
    • browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser - Fx should always be your default browser :mad:
    • browser.download.folderList
    • security.xpconnect.plugin.unrestricted - I think some of the Flash extensions I use may need this, not sure TBH...

In user.js I change the following:
    • // flash - never activate to // flash - click-to-play: user_pref("plugin.state.flash",1);
    • // CIS 2.3.6 Disable Displaying Javascript in History URLs to // Enable Displaying Javascript in History URLs: user_pref("browser.urlbar.filter.javascript",false); so that I can start my bookmarklets from the AwesomeBar

I add my own settings there:
    Code:
    user_pref("loop.enabled", false); // I really don't care for useless features like Firefox Hello
    user_pref("extensions.ui.lastCategory", "addons://list/extension"); // I go to addons.mozilla.org for new addons, not the Add-Ons manager
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.directory.ping", ""); // Just to make sure the enhanced newtab "feature" is really disabled
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.directory.source", "data:application/json,{}"); // Ibid.
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "about:newtab");
    user_pref("browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl", ""); // Stop the default homepage from showing news from Mozilla. Delete profile/storage/permanent/moz-safe-about+home too
    user_pref("browser.syncPromoViewsLeftMap", "{\"addons\":0,\"passwords":0,\"bookmarks\":0}"); // Get rid of the Mozilla Sync prompts
    user_pref("plugin.sessionPermissionNow.intervalInMinutes", 0); // The Click-to-play per element site explains this
    user_pref("plugin.persistentPermissionAlways.intervalInDays", 32766); // Remember the sites you allowed plugins to run on for a hell of a long time
    user_pref("browser.fullscreen.animateUp", 0); // disable fullscreen animation
    user_pref("browser.tabs.animate", false);
    user_pref("browser.panorama.animate_zoom", false);
    user_pref("alerts.disableSlidingEffect", true); // just show notifications
    user_pref("geo.wifi.uri", ""); // FO, Google and geolocation
    user_pref("browser.devedition.theme.showCustomizeButton", true);
    user_pref("devtools.theme", "dark");
    user_pref("security.dialog_enable_delay", 500); // enable the install button quicker on the extension install dialog. It's a good security feature, though
    user_pref("keyword.enabled", false); // Don't search/go to the first site on Google for a bad URL in the address bar
    user_pref("network.http.referer.XOriginPolicy", 1);
    user_pref("network.http.referer.trimmingPolicy", 2);
    user_pref("full-screen-api.approval-required", false); // I'm just about smart enough to not be fooled by a fullscreen window pretending to be something else
    user_pref("javascript.options.showInConsole", false);
    user_pref("gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled", true);
    user_pref("browser.urlbar.trimURLs", false); // show the full goddamn url - http an' all - in the address bar
    user_pref("browser.cache.use_new_backend", 1);
    user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 8);
    user_pref("browser.helperApps.deleteTempFileOnExit", false); // keep files downloaded to %TEMP% when Firefox exits
    user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", true); // WARNING - use this only if you don't need it
    user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled", false);
    user_pref("datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled", false);
    user_pref("plugins.enumerable_names", "Java,Shockwave"); // these are the only plugins I really use on the Internet
    user_pref("breakpad.reportURL", "");
    user_pref("browser.send_pings.require_same_host", true);
    user_pref("extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled", false); // don't need AMO integration with the Addons-Manager
    user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", 5); // show pages while they're still loading
    user_pref("browser.search.showOneOffButtons", false); // go back to the old search dropdown
    user_pref("extensions.greasemonkey.enableScriptRefreshing", false); // Greasemonkey: go a little easier on the disk drive

pyllyukko's user.js automatically disables pdf.js. This is fine for me. It relies on HTML5 canvas and is slower when compared to Chrome's native PDF viewer plugin. Chrome's plugin is not compatible with Firefox, but we can use the speedy SumatraPDF to show PDF files in the browser like this:
    Code:
    // Add this to user.js
    user_pref("plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types", ""); // enable PDF plugins
    user_pref("plugin.state.nppdfviewer", 2); // automatically activate SumatraPDF

Install the latest version of SumatraPDF. In Firefox, go to Help->Troubleshooting Information->Show Folder. Create a folder called plugins. Using something like a sysinternals tool or Link Shell Extension symlink SumatraPDF.exe and libmupdf.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF into this plugins folder. Get the SumatraPDF plugin from the pcxFirefox site and place the npPdfViewer.dll from the archive into the plugins folder. Enjoy faster PDF rendering. You can also get the npPdfViewer plugin from SumatraPDF 2.5.2.

18. J4NY4R

J4NY4R MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2013
    Mozilla Archive Format
    No Script
    Omnibar
    QuickJava
    S3.Google Translator
    Self-Destructing Cookies
    Session Manager
    Speed Dial