Firefox became shi**y as Hell...

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by gorski, Jun 19, 2016.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Vivaldi is based on chromium, but that said still no practical example.

Like Opera 12 vivaldi is good as is, just like Opera was. To make FF as useful as opera you needed some things like 20 extensions, and Vivaldi is no different.

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, translation plugins, for instance, are nowhere near the ones in FF but adblocking etc. is the same, more or less...

Anybody tried Chromodo? Not bad. Comodo have an FF based browser, too... Any better?

Cheers for clarifying the issues, guys! :)

Good to know all these views... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    what ever is broken in FF will be set in the hidden profile, you can re-install all day and if the profile is not deleted, you will not see any changes, it will still be broken. Enable to view hidden folders and the profile folder will be at C:\Users\*user name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*profile name.default
    After you uninstall FF delete that entire folder (*profile name.default) reboot and then get a new download of FF from firefox.org

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    you talk like that they were two different projects :biggrin::death:

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

They are WAY different browsers.

Chrome is essentially a spyware tool plenty of proprietary code.

Chromium is an n open source browser, with no proprietary/closed code, and the few remaining connections with the google services were either removed altogether or made optional by the Vivaldi guys.

I care a little about the receipt I care about what's actually in my dish

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx, Joe, will try it all out!

T-S, I never used Chrome, after testing it, having seen what Grubber are doing with our data...

Chromium I did use but updating it etc. was a bit of a palaver, so I tried Chromodo, which worked fine...

100, thanx for that, I must re-think, probably go back to Chromium and see if they improved in various ways...

Mind, I am always listening/learning from more knowledgeable/experienced and I will test it all with FF and see if 32b new install improves things....

Cheerio!

7. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    #28 ZarkBit, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    They are not that different, they share much of the code, many of Chrome devs are working for Chromium, and vice versa, and only small parts of chrome are actually closed source, such as the auto updater, pdf reader, some audio/video codecs, some more stuff and no it isn't a spyware tool, only if you login with your Gmail account.

---------

As for suggestions, pcxFirefox (firefox based) or Slimjet (chromium based), both are fast and much of the bloatware is pretty much gone.

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    @gorski: I agree that Firefox isn't what it used to be. I've found that some of the recent versions experience random "freeze-ups" on certain webpages. I don't know if it's the fault of the browser itself or the webpages' s**tty scripts.

Lately I've been using the Pale Moon browser. It's based on Firefox, the interface is based on the pre-Australis version, and your can export/import all of your current Firefox bookmarks easily.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Obviously they share a lot of code. But that means very little from the user POV.

Nuclear bombs and nuclear powerplants shares a lot tech, which doesn't mean they are equally harmful.

Sure it's a spyware tool. Even the simple default on Google's DNS servers belongs to the category.

Do you really believe that Google maintains the DNS infrastructure because of charity?

And DNS is just the smallest bit.

10. ZarkBit

Jun 18, 2015
    This will be my last reply to this pointless offtopic, next time you quote me, quote me completely, it's a spyware tool IF you login to the web browser with your gmail account, of course they would like to know where you browsing at, they provide a service which at first sight looks free, you know what they say, when something is free you're the product, so it shouldn't surprised people that they mine data (pretty much like any other company....).

Go live under a rock if you don't want to be spied.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You have little idea of what you're talking about. Or you have the wrong idea of what a spyware tool is.

Clearly if I log in in to a google/ms/apple/whatever account I'm aware that I'm sharing my info. It's a my personal decision.

A spyware tool is something that collects data about the users w/o any explicit consent. And that is Chrome, and by lesser extent also Chromium.

12. ZarkBit

Jun 18, 2015
    *facepalm*

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Ok, clearly, you are the usual smart alek kid, who managed to assembly a PC and hence thinks his opinion is at the same level of Kevin Mitnick's one. :D

14. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Well this is Kevin Mitnick's opinion... :rolleyes:

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Because it is none of your f.... business!

46 worked, 47 did not, re-installed 46, everything works again.

What exactly do you not understand about this?

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I suppose you are correct.... so thank you, I appreciate your attempt to help. But I am simply fed up with these mozilla improvements.

But I have been doing things like that for many years and I simply fed up, with those people. NO ONE asks them for the changes they keep making all the time, and everytime one has to waste time to correct the crap!

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, but not the addons....

Wasted about three hours on this, incl, returning to Ff

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Out of context is hard to understand what he meant.

But almost surely the sentence was about having a cheap device and using it consciously: Not email, not Google Apps. (which means no chrome)
    And I assume he was talking to the average Joe to buy a 100$ laptop and install a decent linux or a decrapified windows on top of it.