Firefox is changing

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    whats wrong with this Quantum @_@
    8 tab with this memory..+ 1 tab with addon manager
    my addon just.
    Code:
    - Internet Download Manager
    - Kaspersky Password Manager
    - Kaspersky Protection
    - uBlock Origin
    Its just normal?

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Azanoot

Azanoot MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2015
    Just switched back to FF57 from Chrome. YouTube loading faster was enough to convince me to come back to :worthy: FF. Hope Moz can keep this up. We need healthy competition!

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    well I use chrome for save web page.. because capture all page(.mhtml).. but I think I'll check for chrome update or using chromium again

5. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
  6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I do not understand why you feel you even need an add-on or another browser since you can do this natively in Firefox 57 (see screenshots). I have no problem saving a webpage and opening it in any other browser for review, including Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.

Attached Files:

7. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    mhtm file or html file with folder? I like this one for example..

Attached Files:

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Show me the site you are saving. -- Firefox in an effort to keep better originality, will save it in the format the site originally was. If the site is in mhtm it will save mhtm. If in html it will save in html.

If you are just worried about the file extension, I would say you have a fringe case to begin with. Even saving the page directly to the hard drive is not something commonly done by the average user. In your case, you have a fringe of a fringe. Which makes you, special (annoyingly so). :p -- I am curious why you want to save a site that was originally in html and resave it to mhtm? :confused:

9. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    That addon seems to do a better job at saving everything vs. using Firefox's "Save Page As" option.

In trying the page we're on as an example (as Enthousiast did), Firefox leaves out the "!" graphics next to the Report link at the bottom of these posts. That addon saves it.

If you use Firefox's "Save Page As" option and change "Save as type" to "Web Page, HTML only", it'll save everything to a single .html file without the folder of files (like .mhtml).

10. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    example I use s1ave77 thread for offline browsing(if I not online) but I need tutor for my windows.
    not orignially.. that I important to me is capture all web. if save a web page as result downloading html file also folder(inside this usually .js, jpg, css, etc just like web) but if opening hmtl file(parent) and folder(child) while opening again example I want see again while not online. btw I open with chrome and IE(I dont have other browser),, firefox cant open.. so which one not original?

Attached Files:

11. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    no..no.. mhtml just one files same like save page as (webpage, html only)... well pict below.. different in size save file.. I always save page article with chrome.

Attached Files:

12. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean.. They're both one file. What differences do you see if you open them and compare?

If you're missing some formatting or images then that's the advantage of using that addon I mentioned. It saves everything to one file.

13. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    It is because he is saving a dynamic content website, which is the 1st issue he is running into and it has nothing to do with the browser. The 2nd issue is since MHTML is not standard, the same file can be viewed differently in different browsers.

Attached, just to make my point, is a screenshot of an MHTML document in Google Chrome. You'll notice some images are missing and the layout is not exactly right. -- This is because the site is a dynamic site and some items only render when your browser renders the page. The 2nd attached image is taken from Firefox and has the exact issues as Chrome. Of course, in Internet Explorer, it looks even worse.

Technically, IE would not even load the MHTML file and I used HTML save, just to show the difference in the layout.

Of course, this says nothing about the browsers in either case. What it does say is

1) Dynamic websites are not the best sites to save on your hard drive
    2) MHTML is not the best format to be using

Attached Files:

14. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #379 cengizhan, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    saying they have given you 1 year is meaningless and useless. their new webextensions api very limited. it does not allow you alter the gui. you can't add a sidebar or a veritcal toolbar or add new items to download window etc. this very limitation made lots of extension non updatable. the developers said that they could not update their addons because the new api very limited and crippled. the new version may be faster and lighter but you have to accept the fact that their webextension api is pulling down firefox. i hope that they will extend and improve it.

15. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    That is why I'm suggesting to try using that addon. I think you'll be surprised how well it can save content. And it creates a standard HTML file that can be opened in any browser.

Take a look at the "About this extension" section for that addon. It goes into detail about what it does in attempting to save a true copy of what the user sees in their browser. I'm no expert, but the files it creates seem to have less lost content compared to Firefox's "save as HTML" results on certain pages.

off-topic: you are detail oriented- you corrected my two dot "ellipsis" into a proper three dot ellipsis (used after the word "mean" in that quote from me). :) I know three dots are correct but feel that two dots can convey the same meaning in sentences and doesn't drag it out as much. Oh well.. :D