Firefox is changing

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    An otherwise good and interesting thread was ruined many pages back by the maniacal ramblings of an excessive fanboy, launching his attacks on anyone he (usually incorrectly) assumes to be bashing Quantum, he disguises it under the banner of "calling you out". Fanboys will be fanboys but it's a shame the maniacal rants and rambling ruined what was an otherwise good and informative thread.

Still using both FF Quantum and Chrome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Why not Chromium? Or Opera, which is also Chromium based?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #483 GOD666, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Says the Chrome fanboy in the Firefox thread. :rofl:

4. Doghen

Doghen Guest

God666, why people always says (Firefox is not secure) you can secure yourself to don't click on strange sites, links, emails, dirty site's, dirty videos, every browser have (not so good things) but the important thing is Sandbox in a Web Browser, and just to be sure you keep an eye of your own things you do on the Internet, nothing can fully protect/secure you even G can't, the only good advice is yourself (Think with your brain your smarter than security, or bullsh*t) when you don't go to strange site's, dirty links, or open malware your good to go! The only security is yourselff, not the Browser or anything else.. :) so don't ever call Firefox Unsecure anymore! You dirty G fanboys.. because no Browser can fully protect you..

5. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I think this thread isn't about 'no browser on earth is fully secure' the topic says that Firefox is changing and that's totally true, they adopted several security features and changed the entire engine. However this has nothing much to do with been a 'fanboy' this is a change which was needed because such changes made sense. Of course sandboxing the browser doesn't protect you against data theft but against third-party attacks like spoofing and I think it's not all, they said more is coming which is a good thing. Sadly the battle is already over and Google won the race because they were the first which offered all the features which Mozilla now added - however in the meantime (last 5 years) people started to using/install Chrome (or the forks) instead. Even if Mozilla really changes everything it's very hard to gain the trust and users back because why should you use an browser which has no own ideas or adopt the features from other browsers (way later then the original?). It's like comparing Windows with Linux, of course there both exist but who made the race is well known, same story on smartphone market, Android simply won.

6. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Fortunately I don't see his maniacal ranting and rambling anymore, but you have actually seen some of the posts earlier on in the thread by a maniacal fanboy!? In true fanboy style he ranted/rants off at anyone who he (usually incorrectly) interprets as saying anything remotely negative about his personal preference. Consistently accuses others of spreading FUD, and displays all the typical traits of a fanboy.

As mentioned I'm still using both and enjoying both, the squashed bookmarks toolbar in Quantum narks me a bit (cue fanboy attack) but so does it many a dedicated FF user according to what I've read.

All the speed claims and everything else are all irrelevant, who cares if blah blah page loads .nn'th of a second faster. Who cares about links which show this is better or that is better. It's all and only about the user experience and personal preference and is/should be free from rampant fanboys banging a drum for their preference and jamming their thoughts down the throats of everyone else, and completely ruining what was a good and informative thread, as is the case here. Shame.

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #487 GOD666, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    I'll close with this simple truth: There is a big difference between having an opinion and knowing a fact. Folks should never confuse the two and more importantly, never attempt to pass off an opinion as fact.

That has been my basis for most of my comments. Anytime, you try to pass off your opinion as an indisputable fact, I'm going to have a laugh, while disputing it with facts, as I have been and will continue to do so. You're welcome to your opinions, I have no problem with you having them even if they're crazy or make no sense or I simply disagree. I have no time to argue with every opinion and honestly, have no interest in doing so.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Well, I shall "sacrifice" a bit of speed for a lot of absence of snooping by default...

Also, if I can set it up in such a way it suits my purpose - and FF is better than Chrome in that respect - any day I will choose FF...

Another good thing about it is - if one thinks about it a little - the fact there are various "flavours" of FF and some might be better than others for your setup...

All in all, FF is way more trustworthy, even if slower! And if they use what others have "invented" - so what? Passing the knowledge is the basis of civilisation and culture!

Period!

9. browneylad

browneylad MDL Member

Sep 26, 2017
    New FF update 57.0.1 happened yesterday & oddly FF shortcuts etc stopped working. Desktop icon, pin menu, even went to installation folder for the program target but it won't start FF. Later I took the FF installer from Mozilla site & tried new install again(did not delete the existing program or shortcuts). Then its fixed. Is it a bug or just minor problem?

10. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    May be a problem at your end? I updated yesterday and FF is running smooth, as it was.:clap3:

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Amen....

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    This is the multiprocess feature (e10s or electrolysis). Previously, legacy extensions could block that feature from being enabled, but as all 57+ compatible extensions MUST be e10s compatible, it is now in full force.

Embrace it! It's the hottest s**t now! Shiny Chrome has it, too!

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    you are the dude Chef :clap3:

14. Scottmorre

Scottmorre MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2017
    I used to love Firefox, but lately, I switch to Chrome, mainly because Chrome supports more addon. Firefox has this and that issues.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Nonsense. FIrefox has all the addons one can possibly want and it is more configurable etc. etc.

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

That is just bull.....

If you use the latest update yes... if you do not want to use that, then all you get is alist of 72 (seventytwo) legany add-ons....
    And anyway.... I checked and EIGHT of my ten add ons, do NOT work !!!!!!!!!

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Not my experience and I use ESR version. Where did you get that info?

I just went through the addons list searching for various addons and it seems to me this statement of yours is BS...

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  19. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012