Firefox is changing

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What are you talking about?
    Do you meant I am @oldsh_t ?

2. tnr20

tnr20 MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2017
    i have 5 processes since the new update. is this normal?
    how can i change this to ONE Process in taskmanager?
    can anyone help me please?
    thanks

3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    This is normal for Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera Browser. Each tab is isolated in their own process so that if a page crashes it does not take the whole web browser and all your other tabs with it. Depending on what extensions (add-ons) you have installed, you may have additional processes as well. You cannot change this behavior in any modern browser since this is becoming the norm for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.

4. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Go to Options-> General-> Performance. If you uncheck "Use recommended performance settings", you can change "Content process limit" to 1. You'll still have more than one process running, but number will be lower than before.

If you *really* only want one Firefox process to run, there is a way to do it. Type "about:config" in the address bar, then search for "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2" and set it to false. Restart Firefox, you'll see only one process running (and you'll notice Firefox is a lot more sluggish).

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Why does it makes trouble to you? Of course, open each operation as a new process, if it is possible.
    In case one website or extension or whatever is not working normally, you can restart it and do not have to close everything and restart it.
    If possible, always start each operation as a new process.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Dam I wish I was perfect like you:blahblah1:

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I learned something new today. -- Thanks. :)

As you said though, changing this does end up losing all the improvements and so it is kind of a dumb thing to do to yourself. :druff: But if anything, at least the option is there, and folks cannot claim we lack options. :p

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I just checked my config and it is set to false by default.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #532 kaljukass, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    You are absolutely right, but only the selected people have different default settings. I think you've noticed that they are always the same people, who have other default settings and have always many problems.
    Simply some people just are such as they are. There is nothing to do.
    And of course, it's a lot easier to disable this feature in Firefox Options, if go to do it on the config page (about:config).
    This suggestion only shows a little awareness of the writer.
    His principle seems to be - why to do simply, if it's possible to do by a complicated way.

11. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    There are two similar settings:

browser.tabs.remote.autostart
    browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2

The first one will be set to false by default. The second one is the one to look at. It should be set to true (for multiple processes) or false (for a single process).

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #535 ThomasMann, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Question about telemetry
    When I do a search for telemetry in about:config I get about 25 entries, some of them are set as true.

For someone who does not want any sniffing on a computer, what settings should be used in the telemetry department? Are any of those needed?

I get asked, but I do not know the answer...

There are also about 15 entries under toolkit.telemetry in about:config, and some of them are set to "true"

How exactly can one get rid completely of ALL Ff telemetry in 57.0.2 ?

Thanks

13. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #536 GOD666, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Oh goodie! Happy, happy, joy, joy, my very own ignore list. I feel so special. :giggle: :epiclol:

:rofl:
    Personally, I believe @kaljukass said it best
    :roll1: This basically outlines my thinking as well. As their problems really are their problems. It is after all the same small group of people who keep coming here to cry about how big, mean, Mozilla, made such a browser. :giggle: You know, the same Chrome users who feel so threatened by Firefox, that they feel the need to troll the Firefox thread. Funny, we do not have Firefox users trolling the Chrome thread, likely because we do not feel the need to compensate for anything since we are not lacking anything. ;)

But you'll never see this reply since I'm being ignored, right? :p

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Quite possibly that some of these Chrome users that come here are compensating for "other" things they have (or do not have) too

15. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :roflmao::roll1::epiclol:

You could be onto something. :rofl:

16. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009