Firefox is changing

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Your German could use some work. :p If you were using Google to type that it really did fail. :rofl:

I think you would be better off sticking to English, not just because it is part of the official rules here, but also because folks who are in Germany take a bit of offense whenever someone gets their language wrong.

3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    That's what stopped me using firefox, all the addons i used to use have been incompatible for a very long time...you eithe stay on an older version and keep addons or upgrade and loose addons...you can't win.

4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Gone back to Firefox, its still the best.

5. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    +1 Firefox Quantum finally resolves the issue Mozilla Firefox had on Linux. For years now, I thought it strange that Chrome was better on Linux, while Firefox (or Opera) was good on Windows. I am pleased to discover Firefox Quantum (Firefox 57) resolves that issue once and for all.

6. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #148 Kim100, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I went back to 56.01 and still prefer it to the others I have tried recently. Old habits die hard.

Just went ahead and installed the Beta, shame it doesn't install alongside the old version, I don't normally bother with Beta releases. Quantum looks great and very fast, impressed so far.

7. browneylad

browneylad MDL Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Its a shame they are still not taking the idea of sandboxed tab alongside regular ones. Colored autosandboxed/private tabs beside normal tabs is handy that I can operate multiple accounts without going to private windows. I also wanted a speed-dial mode in this sandboxed tab where autologin will be enabled. I can save 2-3 profiles on speeddial mode so even when I enter private browsing mode I can autologin with this feature.

8. sylph123

sylph123 MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2017
    Already switched to chromium-based browser for a long time, maybe it's time to look back for firefox to check the improvements now.:)

9. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Ever since Firefox 42 or some earlier version to this current 57b8 it always create cache of tiny files in "AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxx.default\cache2\entries" when i set to launch and browse in private mode. It is the only thing i hate about Firefox these days and sticking with Chrome's incognito. I just don't like browsed bits stored and especially stored on SSD.

10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #153 GOD666, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    You do not know how web browsers work. :rolleyes:
    Chrome does the exact same thing, as does any other web browser that has a private mode. The cache is placed into a temp location and then deleted. A simple proof of this is to visit MDL or any other site which you would need to log into, while in private mode, and sure enough, if you enter your username and password, you'll be logged in. This is because the cookie and cache are also saved on your computer, during private browsing.

Private browsing does not prevent data from being written to your computer. All private browsing does is delete everything once you are done. --- This is true for Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and every other web browser you can think of. -- It is impossible to surf the net with a web browser and not have cache. What is possible is that it can be deleted soon after.

If you really want no cache on your drive and you have enough RAM on your system, you could configure a RAM Drive, and have the cache and cookies written there. That way, if you wish, everything will magically be removed upon any manual refresh or reboot (since it would only be in RAM). This would include private browsing and regular browsing.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can disable cache or save to some other place or directory if You think, it is better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #155 GOD666, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Technically, even the disable option in any browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, ect.. etc..) still writes a few bytes of cache into your computer. It just happens to write over it quickly. This is because the very nature of surfing the web is to download the content so that it may be displayed on your computer.

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. annieannie

annieannie MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2009
    The problem with v57 is that only web extension can be used and I can't find a replacement of flashgot or xthunder, which allows you download file with various download managers. IDM or FDM's addons sometimes miss capturing the download under v57 so you have download with firefox's own download manager, which is not good at all - why don't they outsource the internal download manager to FDM?
    I can live without tabmixplus but without a decent download manager is a deal breaker.

Right now, I found that v56 is already pretty fast and I can still use flashgot and xthunder so I stay with v56.

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi hmm you need verify again only search and there have extension for IDM I know because I use it

16. Doghen

Doghen Guest

#159 Doghen, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
    is it true that Mozilla, going to make Mozilla Firefox look like Google chrome? :O (Engine, theme, and other stuff)

17. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    #160 vuze4u, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Ouch, well i did i detect 1 to 5 inconsistent files creations upon just browsing MDL in 2 test sessions. I always think browsing in private mode stores temporary cookies and caches on memory instead saving on drive for later quicker access but atleast temp files gets cleared. Firefox on other hand doesn't clear the pieces, cumulative to hundreds in couple days, easier to spot.