1. nghiabros

nghiabros MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    An older ESR because of my required addons.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    I didnt switch to Quantum because i read that many older addons wouldnt be supported and wouldnt be updated.

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Developers were given several years advance notice before the release to update their code. Some well-known developers were even given advance copies of closed prebuilds before the first public nightly (alpha) was even released. Mozilla even took the extra time to help some developments recode their add-ons (imagine having a professional developer code for you for free as a courtesy). Finally, Mozilla not only offered extensive documentation, they even offered a free online public simulator for developers to try their add-ons before releasing at no risk to the developer.

Now, with that said, any developer who refused to upgrade was just being lazy. I cannot imagine Microsoft going to such lengths to support developers or even Google and yet Mozilla went to those lengths. You didn't need to be a corporation with a partnership or need to buy into anything and in most cases, your add-on didn't even need to be well-known, yet Mozilla took the initiative to support add-on developers for several years, for free. :eek:

Having said that, the few who shook their fist and cried about the new release have either finally caught up, were replaced, or have not been greatly missed.

5. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    From what i heard i could hav ebeen addonless, just because of shiny new jazzed up version of FF and that was unacceptable. FF ESR aint broken so why fix it? I dont mind hunting for a new alternative when an addon is no longer being developed. :)

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Well, if you're going to stick to the older ERS, I would point to you here since this was the final version (v52.9.0) and it was released silently https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ows-vista-june-2018.75292/page-2#post-1451333

I am curious what add-ons have you been holding out on?

7. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    I may have 2 addons that perform a similar function, but i use them any. Like wearing 2 condoms right :biggrin5:

IDM Integration
    Mozilla Archive Format - i love saving web pages in MHT.
    Adblock Plus
    Adblock Plus Popup Addon
    Canvas Defender
    DuckDuckGo Plus
    Flashblock Plus
    Flashblock
    Flashgot
    Google Analytics Opt-out
    Google No Track
    Google Search Link Fix
    ImageBlock
    No Google Analytics
    pinterest-guest
    Remove It Permanently
    TrackMeNot
    UAControl
    Video Download Helper - Useless because IDM is better.
    Webmail Ad Blocker
    Youtube Classic - because of a topic here somewhere.

8. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Only a few failed for me and it only took a short time to find alternatives.

9. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    I stopped using html files when i found the mht addon and i have hundreds of pages saved in that format, cant be without it in FF. :)

10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Poor planning. lol

The problem with MHT/MHTL was it never was fully adopted as a standard and in time browsers, such as Netscape (originally) and later Microsoft Internet Explorer, followed by Apple Safari, were able to archive the whole sites by right-clicking and saving the page. This has continued with Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, and Opera Browser. This method proved more productive since you're not converting anything and for development purposes, allowed people to easily review original code locally without having to worry about changes happening and locally, guaranteeing cross-browser support (as MHT/MHTL conversation varied based on the browser).

11. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Html would get corrupted so mht suits my needs. :)

12. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :confused: If your browser is corrupting html -- Something isn't working right on your end. :eek:

13. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Not corrupted by the browser, when you move them.

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Sounds like a storage issue. Moving files should not corrupt them.

15. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Duplicates in xp corrupted a lot.

16. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Really does sound like a computer issue on your end.

17. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Dont use html tosave now, mht works great :)

18. Lars220

Lars220 MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2018
    Thank you for this great informational and educational forum thread. I have been following pf100 and the WUMT Wrapper Script thread, and found out about this thread which I will now follow. I use Firefox 61.0.1 with no problems. I like the Addons; Disconnect for privacy type tracking blocking, and I like Print Friendly & PDF to save web pages in PDF, and it only gets the important info, not the extra ads and other side panels (?) I also use lightweigt SumatraPDF to read all my saved webpages. Anyway, just sharing. Thank you for this forum, and education. P.S. lewcass, keep the cats off the keyboard ;)

19. nghiabros

nghiabros MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015