Fix for High CPU Usage in Windows Defender

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Super Spartan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That would be to the detriment of your security, I guess.

3. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    I got a even better trick

sc delete WerSvc
    sc delete WinDefend

4. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Not sure. It is stopping it from scanning itself while it scans other things which drags things to a crawl. If it was infected, it would not be able to detect it anyway by design. Probably the easiest way to be sure it was not compromised would be to verify the MD5 hash on MSMPENG.exe from time to time.

5. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    so this stupid AV was constantly scanning itself?

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok well I think so NO use MS Defender (disable only) and use one good and free AV as Avira, Immmunet3 for example in my humble opinion ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #7 dmex, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    How will Microsoft, Google, Valve (and everyone else) fix crashes if they don't get error reports?

You can't delete the Windows Defender service since it's protected from modification and deletion by the WdFilter.sys kernel driver.

If you want to permanently disable Windows Defender, the only way is by using the below registry key:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
    "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001

Then reboot for the changes to take effect.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I am truly puzzled with the defender. It always rates very low in all comparisons I read, but I never saw a definite statement about it. So I never really uninstalled it...

If one uses a normal free AV software, can MSDefender be uninstalled completely? Those permanent updates also make me feel uneasy, I never trusted them....

If it is a good idea, better make that: not a bád idea to get rid of Defender, how is it done completely on Win 7 ulti 32?

THanks!

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #9 ThomasMann, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That looks like what I am looking for... and I found this:

"To add a registry key

In Registry Editor, click the registry key under which you would like to add a new key.

Click New on the Edit menu and then click Key.

Type a name for the new key and then press ENTER."

"...the registry key under which..." which one would that be and how do I find it?

Thanks.

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Their problem, not mine.

Trust me, you can, with nsudo. :clap:

11. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    yes sir, not only now, since MSE in Windows 7, to Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1, and now on Windows 10, it scans itself, very smart

12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  13. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks for that, It's an interesting tool :)

Windows Defender has a total of 3 services and 2 drivers that you also need to delete:
    sc delete WinDefend
    sc delete WdNisSvc
    sc delete WdNisDrv
    sc delete WdFilter
    sc delete WdBoot

14. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    when i was accessing my own computer's folders from a remote desktop which i was connecting. my computer always freezed after a while. i took me months to find the reason. it was this stupid AV: windows defender. this stupid AV was scanning a big file over and over, never giving up whick was locking the hdd and then freezing windows.

15. Boonard

Boonard MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2016
    If i understand your question, you put the code and save it in Notepad under "deaktivate-defender.reg" and double click it, thats it.
    That adds it in Regestry.

16. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    LOL :clap:

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    A few comments further up, someone wrote that there are five other entries that need toi be de-activated.

Could someone (who has enough time) put a complete instruction here? I mean instruction that can be used by people other than the ones that would know already how it works? You know hat I mean?

I would appreciate that, thanks.