[fixed] Canmore GPS logger software stopped working

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by technodevotee, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    #1 technodevotee, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    I used this application (CanWay 1.1.12) on Windows 10 for a few years up to November 2017 but when I came to use it the other day, I discovered that it no longer works on any of my PCs running 1709 or later.

I'm assuming that MS have deprecated/removed/changed something in the Creators Update as when I tried it on 1703 it works fine.

Unfortunately the Canmore website only has a holding page now so I assume that the company are no longer trading and there will be no updates.

I have no idea what the prerequisites for the software are or what language it is written in but the config file mentions Dot net 4.0.0 and SQLite 1.0.87.

The error generated when trying to modify a user or save data imported from the device are 'type initializer for ExtentPlaceholderCreator threw an exception at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.GetPropagotorResultForPrimitiveType'.

I've searched for information about this error but the results I've found are about how to modify application code to resolve the issue, which is obviously not something I can do.

I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting or find out what components are missing or changed and any help would be appreciated.

2. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #2 technodevotee, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    (OP)
    Well. Would you believe it?

I just did yet more googling and found a similar problem which was resolved by installing a component from the SQL Server 2012 SP3 Feature Pack. Specifically x86 CLR types.

I installed this and it is working again but I have no idea why it used to just install and work without having this and now it doesn't.

Well, it IS working on one PC, but I can't get it to work on any others, whether it was already installed, freshly installed or where I removed and reinstalled it.

3. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #3 technodevotee, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    (OP)
    OK.

After another few hours of trawling the net, I discovered that the problem is to do with changes in sqlserverspatial110.dll. It seems to affect a lot of people in a lot of different ways and finding the solution proved tricky.

I found an article on Stack Overflow that addressed a similar problem and provided this solution.

What you have to do is insert these lines into the config file and it works. It should be fairly obvious where they go as there is already a similar entry in there.

<dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.SqlServer.Types" publicKeyToken="89845dcd8080cc91" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-11.0.0.0" newVersion="10.0.0.0" />
    </dependentAssembly>

I think this is a work around really and the actual fix is in SQL 2012 SP3 but when you don't have SQL server installed, it is rather hard to install a service pack on it.

Hope this helps someone else out.