Flash very old bios (no mod)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Stannieman, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Hi,
    it's not really about a bios mod, but I'm asking it here cause I guess here are the most bios experts.
    I have an old pc with a 486 mainboard from 1994, the bios is not ready for all the year 2k stuff, but the manufacturer has a beta bios on it's ftp server.
    The mainboard can not flash, so I need to do it with a hot flash (boot up another pc, remove bios when running, install bios to flash, flash, remove flashed bios).

The bios chip I'm going to use is not the original one from the 486 board, but from another board wich was manufactured in the same year, but it's an award chip just like the original. Will this work?

Do I need an award flasher or a flasher for the bios wich normally should be on the board I'm using to flash?

The flashboard has a biossocket and bios chip with more pins than the chip I want to flash, can this cause any problems? The chip to flash has 28 pins btw.

And the last question:
    The bios is from 1993, can any later flasher flash it or do I need an older flasher?

Thanks, Stannieman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...