Flashing BIOS after activating

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jowey, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jowey

jowey MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Hi all,

This might seem like a stupid question, but I wanted to check whether anyone knows if Windows 7 would stop working if I change the BIOS to one which no longer has the SLIC table?

I have an Asus 1000HE and I have Windows 7 installed (activated with OEM SLP bios and cert).

I want to dual-boot and install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and I'd need to flash a modded BIOS for OS X to work.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks heaps!

2. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Windows will work but it will not be activated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jowey

jowey MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    It's already "Licensed" and isn't a trial install. Are you saying that would change?
    Do you think updates will work?
    I just need to know so I can use a modded BIOS to get Mac OSX running.

4. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    If there is no SLIC table in the new bios, Windows will go into trial state. Updates will work in that state.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It will not necessary go to trial (as the time already is gone), so it will give an error about being victim of counterfeit software & go to the non-licences state
    Updates will not work & the desktop will be black

If you can not mod the BIOS to have SLIC in it, then use a loader for Windows

sebus

6. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    ditto! dont bother upgrading the BIOS unless you have to

7. jowey

jowey MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I thought that it only needed the SLIC table to authenticate the first time, but from what you're all saying it checks it every boot.
    Kinda sucks for me but I guess a loader is always an option!
    Thanks again!

8. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Why can't you use a BIOS that has SLIC 2.1 and whatever you need for OSX (an SLI Entry I believe) added ?

9. Commlock

Commlock MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    I have updated my BIOS several times after installing Windows 7, however each time I also did the SLIC trick to the new BIOS. That's it :D