Flashing BIOS right now, need help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by baskinghobo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. baskinghobo

baskinghobo MDL Junior Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm flashing my Bios right now and i currently have an F1 Bios but can i update to F3 Bios (slic 2.1 inserted) without updating to the F2 Bios then F3 Bios? And also do i have to clear the CMOS after flashing? what are the chances i will brick/damage etc the mobo from NOT clearing the CMOS?

2. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Usually, you do not have to follow a particular progression with BIOS updates--if you have version r7, for example, you can go to r9 without needing r8 in between. If you are talking about the motherboard jumper clear, I have never had to do that. Yet. "Load Defaults", yes, but not Clear.

3. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    It might help if we knew what your motherboard is, (sounds like a Gigabyte), but generally you only need to flash with the latest bios.
    The recommendation is to clear the cmos after flashing but personally I never have.
    You cannot brick your mobo from not clearing the cmos.
    You should flash from dos Using USB or floppy of from a built in flash tool such as Q-flash (Giabyte) or EzFlash (Asus). Flashing from windows is the most risky.

4. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Flashing from Windows need not be risky, and is actually easier on the user since there is no need to mess around with bootdisks and whatnot (and there's a GUI!). But being in Windows also carries the temptation of doing other stuff during the BIOS flash - a bad, bad idea. Just let the flash run its course before using the computer, and you will be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...