Font installation breaking windows 8.1??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cman, Oct 21, 2013.

1. cman

cman MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I am using windows 8.1 x64, not activated (could be related??) and I was having issues for the last 2 weeks.

I couldn't get windows started until I restore my system to the last restore point. Then I had to reinstall few of the programs I had installed the day before to get back to normal again.

But there was a point, something I did that it broke windows again, and i had to restore my system again!! like this 5 times :S

Then i finally realized that there was a thing that i was doing always and i was doing it always before windows stopped working.

I am working with a prototyping tool for Android and i have to install the Android official font (Roboto), which i downloaded from here: developer.android.com/design/style/typography.html, and I copy paste it in c:\windows\Fonts.

Last time Windows wouldn't start I run a Linux live DVD and i deleted from Linux the Roboto fonts from c:\windows\Fonts. I tried to start Windows and it worked! so I am pretty sure all the trouble was with this fonts. But I need to work with this fonts!!!

Any idea why could it be happening this??

Thanks a lot in advance. I hope my english isn't too bad (i am spanish)

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you cannot copy and paste fonts but you must install them

3. MissKaizen

MissKaizen MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    But, copy and pasting into the system's font folder, automatically installs the font? At least, that's what it seems to be doing every time I download new fonts for graphic designing since I don't have any issue related to fonts.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    hm, never heard about functional fonts which were not properly installed. Years ago with earlier windozes I used some extra fonts which did not come with the os and all had to be installed, no way around. Nowadays, I only use the ones which come with the current system and so far, it might have changed a little bit but I doubt it. Please correct me if I'm wrong

5. cman

cman MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    If i copy paste the fonts it automatically says "installing" and after that i see them in the font directory like any other font, like if it was correctly installed.

When I browsed the windows\fonts folder from linux, there was a preview picture for every font but not for the Roboto Font, so its like there was something different with this Roboto font... but its the official fonts from the android developers webpage, it should be fine!.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    ok, seems that the way has changed a bit. If it says installing when pasted to the folder, it is fine. Perhaps the font itself is not allowed to be used on windows? Maybe a wrong structure?

7. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I don't know why you're having problems but I can tell you it's probably not font-related as I also use Roboto fonts in my Windows system. I install the fonts instead of copy/paste, however.

8. MissKaizen

MissKaizen MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    For testing sakes, I downloaded the Roboto font file from Android developer website, and did what I always do to install fonts (which is copy and paste into the system font's folder and see the installing window pop up) and I see nothing wrong with the font files. There's even a preview picture for the font like every other font I've installed.

EDIT: Perhaps you have a corrupted file, and try re-downloading the font file?

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    exactly, this were my next advise to re-download to be sure that it is clean stuff

10. cman

cman MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Ok! I'll try re-downloading then, could be that!.

I have to first create a new restore point just in case..

Thanks a lot, I'll let you know if it worked in a few hours.

11. cman

cman MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Hey! thanks everyone, yesterday I tried again, re-downloading and installing them with right-click --> install.

Everything worked fine this time! But I still bet the problem was related with fonts before.. Anyway! fixed, thanks and regards!.