Forced W10 instead of update for w7 -X64 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Orgon, Dec 14, 2015.

1. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    All the links that you posted and removed were about people that wanted to upgrade and the upgrade failed. So in other words they clicked what ever they had to to proceed with the upgrade. That I can see Happening! But my cousin never said yes or clicked on anything to allow the install and yet Win10 was trying to install. You say the upgrade would not proceed without user intervention, so what was trying to install??

2. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #22 CaptainKirk1966, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    The links I posted and removed did not seem relevant to the case at hand.

And yes, it most certainly tried to launch the upgrade and failed. I saw the same daily failure messages on several machines in August and September, and just waited it out. When all the pieces were finally ready, that's when it asked me if I was ready proceed. Just saying what I saw, ymmv.

If you really don't want the Win 10 upgrade, uninstall the appropriate kb's, blow away that $WINDOWS.~BT folder, disable automatic updates, and quit worrying about whether you will wake up one morning with Windows 10 forced upon you against your will.

3. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm not worried about Getting caught with Win10. I can protect myself from that! Just letting @100 know that there is or at least there was a chance of a force install of Win10 without user intervention

4. GoFigure

GoFigure MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    Actually it required the user to click OK. Unfortunately most people would click OK even if the message in the box said doing so will detonate a 1 Megaton Atomic Bomb under their house.