Forced Windows Update: A disaster?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gnugeek, Jul 27, 2015.

1. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    next Microsoft step, forcely upgrade to win10 :D

2. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    That will happen when they announce they will no longer support anything else for free.

3. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    You're wrong. They just don't give a s**t. They don't want to please you they want your money. That's why they try to force their 'vision' on us. When they give us a choice they lose money. That's how it works.

4. Slycer

Slycer MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2011
    Unbelievable the amount of trouble that this Win beta is causing. I've beta tested Windows versions since the Longhorn era and don't remember having this many problems. I gave up on Windows 10 when build 9879 permanently bricked (destroyed) two 2TB Samsung drives. Sad to see that they still put out half baked software. Even by beta status standards.

5. FunkyMike

FunkyMike MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    You are putting on the drama a bit much are you not?!

The HDD issue was fixable.

6. Slycer

Slycer MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2011
    It was not. Not for my Samsung drive which is completely dead with a firmware error. I spent months trying to fix it. New PCBs, connecting via the terminal ports. Everything. Now I'll probably have to spend more money to buy a bios chip reader and programmer.

Yes, there was a problem with the firmware even before the MS bug but this bug is what caused the drive to die. It was working just fine before that.

7. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    God the Windows Update again tried to replace my perfectly working Nvidia driver using its faulty one. :mad:

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    That sh** is getting old isn't it?

9. dazeerr

dazeerr MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2014
    WIndows 10 tried to install razer synapse for me; s**t never disabled driver updates so fast before.... Installed legacy drivers from like 4 years ago, still works better. Never buying razer again.

10. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    #30 xomniversex, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Back when Windows 8 had RTMed, Razer refused to release their private, finished, stable drivers for their keyboards until General Availability. I had to wait like two months for it for no good reason. The MSI installer file for it was in a password protected folder on their website, and it was the same filename as the one they posted on the day of GA.

Razer is garbage IMO. Corsair is much better. My Corsair K95 keyboard can send macros without any drivers or software installed, even in the UEFI/BIOS menu. My Razer depended on proprietary bloated software for the macro keys to function.

I also owned one of their mice. Just as the warranty expired, the mousewheel was acting up, then the side buttons failed, then the mousewheel not only stopped scrolling, but I couldn't middle click anymore. Never again.

11. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Windows 10 ne(o)tworking.

I usually don't post but the Windows 10 networking has got me all hot and bothered and not in a good way.

I can't see any other networked devices (Server 2008R2 and Netgear modem shared USB drive) since "upgrading" to Windows 10.

Googling and trying various fixes which used to work (like enabling Guest account) don't work anymore.

The Calendar tile app doesn't work for alternate email addresses.

Bringing up the Network CPL causes screen flashing.

etc.

This is a beta. Not a good beta either.

-.-

12. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Microsoft are a bunch of idiots. Why haven't they force a silent automatic updates for Windows Defender definitions right at the beginning or login or whenever. That's the only force update they should do.

13. cysm

cysm MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Like the lack of a proper start menu in Win8, forced updates will likely be the issue that completely tarnishes Win10's public perception. And perhaps rightfully so :tea:

14. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    see post 11 problem solved...

15. SLRVision39

SLRVision39 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I've solved my problem by entering WSUS keys to direct to my SCCM server... It's not installing updates anymore unless I specifically specify to take updates from MS.
    Not been bothered since

16. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    the public barely knows what updates are,

17. cysm

cysm MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2007
    But they will now, after they see "installing updates..." on their screen and realize that was the last time their computer worked properly, before some improper driver or security update was pushed to them

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Perhaps, but these insider update things were pushed as security updates knowing that the OS wasn't actually released yet.
    I don't believe the normal updates will be as drastic as these insider rollup ones have been.
    I mean, we've downloaded like 1.5gb in the last week alone.

19. omgbbqit

omgbbqit MDL Member

Aug 14, 2012
    An Nvidia driver update (or two now) are not `major security` related or "drastic" in any way. Yet those have gone spectacularly wrong. As have some even more minor updates. There's no defending removing the choice from the end user. I maintain one machine with specific graphics drivers that simply give vastly better framerates in games. If I can't opt out of using those, it is an issue. So I won't let updates install. Nor will a lot of people who encounter this kind of thing or broken updates. Which in the end is not a good thing. But it is essential.