found GPU driver want to know which laptop it comes from.?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by raptorddd, May 24, 2023.

1. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
  2. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    I can only tell you there's no reason to look for a newer driver as there will be no changes related to the graphics card in your laptop. Given that the latest Fermi-compatible driver is 391.35, any newer driver will probably need a bunch of modding and even then it won't be worth it as your card will not magically start performing better. If it works fine with this asus driver, then keep it and be happy it's not the chip itself that is failing due to age.

About vulkan I can't really say anything. Never bothered fiddling with it on older gen cards to see if it works or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Konde

Konde MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    With Optimus you had to right click and select to run it as high performance or in windows 10 you need to add the application to run in high performance on the settings > display > graphics menu.
    Also, have you cleaned the heatsink? I usually clean my devices heatsink every year or two, check the card temps and if it turns off while running things like furmark and rising above 95°c then you need to clean it and probably replace the heatsink.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  6. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    its not heat related they are clean and i have monitored temps they are fine i also recorder temps when it shut offs is around 40c- 60c
    i have runs benchmarks stress tests with temps near 90s and not shut offs.
    i came to tha conclusion that optimus is auotmatic because with nvidia driver to open store i must manually select GPU. with this driver from asus i dont have to do anything.

7. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    ii found out that the lenovo thinkpad w series 520 also has the quadro 2000m i did downladed the driver but compatibility failed. i must have downloaded a wrong driver.
    i think they come with differente gpus..

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Drivers comes by families no need to find something for exactly the GPU you have, just the driver that support the family/generation.

Likely the lenovo driver has many PIDs VIDs removed from the inf(s), just edit them and add yours (then you need to install the driver with the signature enforcement disabled)

9. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    thanks i didnt know that.. yours worked the one provided by kalijukass failed in compatibility
    so thats the latest for my GPU.? the on you provided.? does hardware id helps
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DDA&SUBSYS_14A31028&REV_A1

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Try downloading a (some) slightly newer driver and compare what's on supported list (usually there is .txt a file included in the .exe) if most of the card are supported but your's not you can try adding the line in the relevant inf.

It's boring, but often works if you really need a updated driver.

11. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    #15 raptorddd, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
    (OP)
    Capture.PNG

am in here what should i pick on type and series.?? you mentioned family generation how do i find that.? i mean what is my GPU faimly name

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Like I said read the supported list, and look for a nbook tha use a similar GPU say a "NVIDIA GeForce 930MX", looking at the ListDevices.txt

In short there aren't ready made solutions, you need to be smart and patient, look at wikipedia to understand the chipset used, and which is the sister Geforce one, and so on...

Perhaps why not start from the lenovo driver you mentioned above? fix it, so you get familiar with the matter.

13. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    well just found outa easy way theres a neat feature in nvcleanstall that allows you to enter hw id.
    driver version 391.35 install can see it in device manager BUT... when i try to open nvidia control panel i get a message that says

you are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU
    i guess that cant be fixed so i must stay at 390.65
    the lenovo driver had the same error.

14. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I find hard to believe that a driver made for the very exact chip you're using doesn't work

I think that is very unlikely that lenovo messed other things than removing a bunch of non lenovo IDs

Maybe nvcleaninstall messed some things, that why I prefer to spend some time doing things myself rather than using shortcuts.

That said in IT everything is possible, including bugs that surface only when one does less common things...

15. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    i might give it a try to manually edit the INF file..

16. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I don’t think that Lenovo would modify the INF, that would void the signature. They just have a wrapper that copies the files and triggers PnP to finish the install.