Foxconn A55MX Bad Bios Flash *help*

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Dark3mx, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Dark3mx

Dark3mx MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2013
    (I've posted this in the "Bios Recovery Procedures" thread, but it hasn't gotten any replies, which isn't surprising considering it's over 130 pages long :X)

Heya BIOS experts, I have an issue.

While updating the BIOS on my Foxconn A55MX motherboard, I had a well-timed power outage, so my BIOS was corrupted.

It uses the AMI APTIO BIOS, and I've tried everything I've seen in this thread related to recovering it. Here's a list of what I've done;

Held these combinations:
    WIN + B
    WIN + R
    CTRL + HOME
    CTRL + END
    CTRL + DELETE

Used these file names;
    B73F1P02.ROM
    SUPER.ROM
    AMIBOOT.ROM
    BOOT.ROM
    RECOVERY.ROM
    BIOS.ROM

Flash Drive Formats;
    FAT
    FAT 32

Now, my PC starts up (sort of) seeing that my fans and lights come on, the "smart charge" feature of my motherboard works, since I can still charge my phone through USB, but I get no indication of my flash drive being accessed.

Another thing to note is that my internal speaker is making this odd crackling sound every couple of seconds as if it's trying to give me an error code, but failing horribly.

Now, I've removed both sticks of RAM to see if my speaker went bad or something, but it beeps as it should in that scenario.

Please, somebody help me. It's driving me crazy having this awesome computer sitting in front of me, virtually useless :C

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if no recovery method working u wil have to use SPI USB programmer

3. Dark3mx

Dark3mx MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2013
    I've done a bit of experimenting with shorting the pins on the BIOS chip, seeing that some motherboards will boot to recovery if the BIOS is detected as corrupt (because of the shorted pins) these are the results:

First, this is a poorly done diagram of my BIOS pin layout, since I am unable to take a picture

1/[]\5
    2/[]\6
    3/[]\7
    4/[]\8

Now, if I short pins 1 and 2, my speaker "crackling" becomes more consistent, happening once every second or two.

Pins 2&3: Same as pins 1&2

Pins 3&4: Speaker does nothing

Pins 5&6: No difference from booting without short

Pins 6&7: Same as pins 1&2

Pins 7&8: Speaker does nothing.

During this process, I am still getting no indication of USB access, no monitor output, etc.

Any ideas?

If I recall correctly, someone has posted before that by shorting the VCC with the GND, they were able to start their boot block. However, I have no idea which pins are what because I can't find a pin layout anywhere online.

4. Dark3mx

Dark3mx MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2013
    #4 Dark3mx, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    (OP)
    After quite a while of messing with shorting the pins, I seem to have gotten my machine to start up BootBlock by shorting pins 1&4 against the NB heatsink.

I assume it's attempted to reflash my BIOS as I restarted my computer shortly after the LED on my flash drive stopped blinking, and now it accesses the flash drive at every boot.

Letting it run until it (hopefully) restarts using the Boot-disk + autorun/AFUDOS method. Will be back soon with an update.

**UPDATE**

My BIOS chip seems to have taken the BIOS file, however, my PC still won't boot, and now no matter what I do, my internal speaker won't make a peep aside from the initial power-on beep.

Ugh. This is such a pain in the neck.

5. Dark3mx

Dark3mx MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2013
    Now, many many hours of hard work later...

It still won't boot, and I can't get it to short back into Boot Block recovery, or whatever it was. I don't know what went wrong. I flashed the original BIOS that was released with the board, the one that I KNOW works, but to no avail :C

6. Recursion

Recursion MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Probably you have erased the boot block because when the bios recovery work you have to wait 5-10 minutes or at least until the bios restart itself then you know for sure that the bios recovery is working. When you restart the computer shortly after the led lights blinking it is big change the recovery is also interrupted.

7. Dark3mx

Dark3mx MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2013

After I restarted it the first time, the boot block was still in tact. My computer started reading my flash drive right off without me having to short the pins.

The second time I let it run for a good 30 minutes before I restarted.