free firewall for windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Windows user, Dec 31, 2012.

1. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    im using the W8 default firewall and the hardware firewall in my router, I really don't see the need to use anything else

2. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    you need it if you install apps whose behaviour has to be controlled whenever they want to connect to the internet such as cracks, trainers etc. W8 firewall won't block them, it won't even advise you when they try to: your router fwall has the same drawback.

3. sukinsin88

sukinsin88 MDL Addicted

Oct 17, 2012
    only KIS 2013 :tea:

4. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
  5. charincol

charincol MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2008
    I used to be a Wilders Security Forum guru years ago. After a while I felt like the only reason I owned a computer was to figure out how secure I could make it and ended up never having time to use it for anything else. I got fed up and removed everything and went with the approach of "If you don't let it in to begin with it, then you don't need to worry about detecting it." Been running without 3rd party security apps since '06.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to run apps that only catch something while it's coming in or after it's invaded and already dropped it's payload.

Since almost all malware comes in through your internet browser, it makes much more sense to make your browser Java script default deny with something like Noscript, and you stop pretty much everything from entering. It's not a mystery why I remove malware from other's PCs that run 3rd-party security apps, and I don't on mine.

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I've preferred to keep it simple for a while now, too. The only times I've had a virus or trojan since is when I've knowingly downloaded something questionable, but MSE has always detected the item and I delete it.

I use NoScript with Firefox, too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. curiousboy

curiousboy MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    I am using comodo and i love it, Outpost is another best firewall around so easy and great protection :biggrin: