Free upgrade to Win 10 advice/options help.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 1vincent, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Your key is a generic oem:slp key, the system is activated you mean?

Disabling usb devices? Just don't insert any, except mouse and keyboard, disabling MSE could cause it, uninstall is the advise.

The upgrade attempt causes the emulated slic to be gone from the bootsector, that's normal.

Please upload the log file:) There is always stuff to learn from it.

2. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    I think it said license status is licensed.

I have uploaded the 3 files.

The files with a W after them are from the Windows folder and the other is from the Panther folder.

Sorry but i cant seem to see how i upload files into my post.

3. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    Here are the files.
    The file with a "W" at the end came from the Windows folder and the other 2 are from the Panther folder.

Attached Files:

4. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    After 8/9 days of trying to upgrade this pc I just did a clean install without going through the upgrade as in the tut on here.

It all went ok and no issues with anything devices installed so not sure what happened when I tried from 7 to 10.

As i have activated win 10 now do I do a drive wipe and reinstall or am I good to go?

I backed up all my programmes and data from Windows 7 onto a another hard drive, can I restore that backup to the new Windows 10 ssd in my pc or will that not work?

There is 1 problem I have and that is windows 10 auto connected to my ethernet to my ISP. I cannot see where if I need to to re input the ISP details and when I hover the mouse pointer over the ethernet symbol on the toolbar it just says internet access. Is this correct as I don't have wifi?

5. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    If you're on a nice clean and activated fresh installation, there is no need to wipe your drive and reinstall. You can copy over data from your Windows 7 user folder but as for programs, best practice here would be to install them on Windows 10. Don't bother with MSE as it is not compatible with Windows 10 and has in fact been deprecated and replaced by Defender. Your ethernet connectivity is normal behavior.

6. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    Thanks for you reply.

I will re-install the programs as I think it will less chance of messing up the pc.