Free vs paid Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, Oct 17, 2012.

1. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    There may be good free AVs out there besides Windows Defender if you are willing to put up with annoying sales pitches for their products, and have most of their features not work. Then there is the fact that they usually slow the computer down to a crawl. There may be good pay-fer AVs out there also, but why would I pay for an AV when I can have Windows Defender? It just DON'T make sense! LOL Defender uses practically NO resources, and only lets me know when it has done a scan, or if it found a file. That's what I want. I don't need an AV with bundled fix-its, driver updates, defraggers, or ones that give me hand jobs. All I want is an AV. The rest I can do myself. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Just suggesting that not to use Windows Defender (or any other AV) when on battery. Well, Defender and specially Defender SmartScreen are eating your battery when you are just surfing on your safe favour pages ...

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Well my Defender is only using 520K of RAM right now, so Panda must use a whole lot less. I will take Defender though. 520 K of RAM is not too bad.

5. The process you are seeing is for defender notification icon which uses .1 MB ram
    actual process behind defender is "Antimalware Service Executable" which is using 67 MB ram in idle mode in my 32 bit system.
    but avast uses around 25 to 30 MB in idle mode in my system. but still i use defender bcoz it doesnt nag me for buying paid version.

6. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Honestly, it does not matter is it using 25 or 70 Mb RAM. That's not much in either case - we have RAM, so let's use it. Memory footprint is not a point that slow your computer in case of AV. Well, AV is usually a problem only if you have old computer (for example, with HDD).

7. yes, i agree that it doesn't make any difference if you have 4+ gb ram. but majority in the world still uses old computer with 2 gb ram, thats why choosing a less memory hungry av is the right choice for them.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #50 gorski, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Even with 2 GB or RAM there really is no difference between 30 and 60 MB RAM usage, but what happens when you get pop-ups asking you to buy extra crapware you do not need from your free AV?

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Click on "No, thanx" button...

Phew!

There, there now, no need to cry, it's not difficult... Mummy is always gonna help out, not to worry.... :rolleyes: :D

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  12. Yetanotherrandom

Yetanotherrandom MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2017
    Question. I just installed windows 10 for the first time because I love windows 7 :D Well If I install some antivirus like Avast, will the build in defender turn off automatically?

13. yes, defender will turn off if you install other av, but icon will still appear in taskbar.
    and you can turn off icon in task manager<startup items.

but i would suggest you to stick with defender. its good.

14. Yetanotherrandom

Yetanotherrandom MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2017
    Alright. I just wish I could find a way to make defender not scan my pc while I'm playing a game or doing other stuff where my pc is working on something already. Been looking for some sort of scheduling manager in win 10 defender but so far I failed.

okay here's a solution.
    defender only schedule scan your pc if it is idle. you can edit schedule time (after idle time) here Schedule tasks Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender folder
    about real time protection, you can disable it in gui , but it auto enable itself after 4(?) hours. if you want to permanently disbale real time protection you can do that in group policy. goto group policy > computer configuration > administrative templates > windows component > defender > and set enable to turn off real time protection.
    let me know if there's a problem.