Free Windows 10 for Insider Preview MS Accounts

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vvvvvvxxxx, Jun 19, 2015.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    How an where can I sign up for the Insider program? Is it too late?

2. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Well, this is a free upgrade only for users having GENUINE licensed OS. What I heard, that users having non-genuine OS can upgrade their OS to W10, but their OS will remain non-genuine having personalization options locked & a watermark saying - "This Windows is not Genuine". With a nag screen saying you to activate Windows. So, non-genuine users will still need a KMS activator after upgrade to Windows 10.

Correct me, if I'm wrong. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

Does it matter? I mean, sure, my heart goes out to folks so desperately poor that they can't afford to buy an Operating System, but then I have to wonder if there really are such people in the world if they can afford to buy the hardware they're using--well, in that case, they can't be so desperately poor and poverty is not the reason. It's something else...some "principle" they have that obscures the fact that a Windows OS is likely to be the longest, best-supported piece of software they will ever buy. And even in the US where hardware is cheap, Windows is still a whole lot cheaper...So pardon me if I don't get all weepy-eyed over the folks running bootleg copies of Windows...:D

5. BloodyRose

BloodyRose MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I've had my MSA connected to the Insider program for a long time, but I don't have Windows 10 on my system. What's the minimum amount of steps I can take to get a genuine copy of Windows 10 RTM for free, provided I do not want to beta test anything past the release day of the OS?

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    im running 10130 enterprise on one of my comps do i qualify... or i have to go back to 10130 pro?

7. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    #29 brut7, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Why is anyone even worried about this? MS wants us all on their software because we are the experts in the field. We take care of everyone's computers. We take care of the police station, the fire house, the small business. If we move away from MS and say maybe go Android on everything MS looses BIG (And I'm on XDA! I do android). This is what's at stake with Windows 10. They want and need us to be their base and even pirating will be easy because they need everyone on windows. It's the old business model, it the right business model and I think they are returning to that.

8. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    According to Gabe Aul: "As a reminder, the Enterprise edition of the Windows 10 Insider Preview is not eligible for the free upgrade offer and can be upgraded to the final release of Windows 10 through an active Software Assurance agreement." You do not.

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    ok....so in the next official insider release i have to go back to pro.....if MS releases anything else sounds like their staying at 10130 until final release?

10. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    And actually I wonder how many machines can we activate this way, if it's just one MS account.

11. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Or you can change it to pro now and upgrade later.

12. noobixent

noobixent MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    If you don't want to beta test, then you will need a qualifying OS like Win 7 or 8.1 to upgrade to 10 for free. 10 is a commercial OS, meant to make revenue for microsoft. The free copy for beta testers is meant to encourage and reward their effort in helping build the final product, and future updates.

13. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    My guess - One MS Insider account = Free license for one machine.

14. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Well right now I have 1 MSA account and 3 devices attached to it, 2 Win 10 and 1 Win 8.1... so how would they know which Win 10 to keep active on RTM...

15. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Another guess - You'll get the free license for first device, on which you'll perform upgrade to Final build.;)

16. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Can people run Windows 10 with vmware or virtualbox and sign up for the Insider? Can you get Windows 10 free doing that way or you have to physically install it on your machine?

17. fonix232

fonix232 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    I doubt that. Their blog post suggests that all of the devices you are running Insider and upgrade it to RTM will receive valid licensing, tied to that specific computer and MS account.