Free Windows 10 for Insider Preview MS Accounts

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vvvvvvxxxx, Jun 19, 2015.

1. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Not trying to be smart, but is that yes it is or you think it is, as I do not want to answer anyone's questions wrong, lol:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    If it is not genuine, why would it be activated?

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    He said eligible Windows Devices, not Tech :Dpreview

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I see your point, but MS, well I just don't know I guess, but something in my head just says MS is up to something, and yes I could be wrong.

5. skryabin

skryabin MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Let's say I don't want to install W10 in my main PC yet.

If I do the rtm update inside a vmware machine even if I use the MSA insider account the activation will be linked to that particular virtual hardware, and this doesn't seem a good idea. Right?

What if I save my 10130 iso on a usb/disk, when rtm is ready I install 10130 this time on the main pc and using my insider account I do the rtm update. This should work I suppose.
    Unless when rtm comes out something happens and it will be too late to install the beta on the main machine and obtain a valid license for that hardware.
    What do you think?

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I would put 10130 on computer you are going to put RTM on, no dual boot though as that is different ballgame:D

7. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    #88 ToniCipriani, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    So reading all the bits and pieces here and there including tweets, forums and blogs, this is how I understand it now:

If you are using... / When RTM hits you will be: Upgraded Activated without Watermarks Licensed for Windows 10
    Windows older than 7 (Vista/XP/95/3.1) NO NO NO
    Unlicensed/cracked Windows 7/8/8.1 YES NO NO
    The Windows 7/8/8.1 that came with your PC (OEM) YES YES YES
    A retail boxed Windows 7/8/8.1 you bought YES YES YES
    Windows 10 Technical Preview, upgraded from existing Windows 7/8/8.1 YES YES YES
    Windows 10 Technical Preview, clean install YES NO* NO
    So I think the key point is the Licensed bit. Microsoft in no circumstances will give you a free Windows 10 license unless you have purchased a genuine copy of Windows 7/8/8.1, be it OEM or Retail.

For Technical Preview, this is the key part. If you fit the description above, or if you go out and purchase Windows 10 when it hits RTM, you are upgraded AND licensed. If you just downloaded the TP and use it and never paid for Windows, you are NOT LICENSED, but you will be updated and activated, and functionally it will be identical to a licensed machine.

For the average user it probably doesn't matter, but if you are a business and if any way your software rights would get audited, you would be in trouble.

EDIT: Gabe Aul clarified. Only TP installs upgraded from genuine 7/8/8.1 will get activated. If you do a clean install you will be required to downgrade and do the upgrade from there, should you decide to leave the Insider program. If you remain in the program and continue to receive preview builds, you will remain active, but still unlicensed.

8. skryabin

skryabin MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    it was my conclusion too, there's no safer way, I'm just a bit worried about "when", I think at some point it will be too late.

I was thinking about this option too, can you explain what do you mean for different ballgame?

9. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I agree. MS is allowing insiders the ability to USE Win10 as long as they continue to test new builds. That is the price one pays to be able to use Win 10 for free. The question that I have not seen answered is, if I opt out of the insider program can I enter a valid Win7 or 8.1 key to be reactivated.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #91 lobo11, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    All registered Insiders (without previous license) will effectively get a subscription based Windows license (although a free one) as long as they agree to the terms of the Insider program. Interesting thought - Windows 365...

12. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    My gut feeling tells me Microsoft would just leave it activated even if you get out of the Insider. They are just treating these "insiders" who are only going for the RTM to be like the BIOS modders, but in a much more controlled (MSA) way. I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft is fully aware the Windows 7 BIOS pirates are around and could track them if they really wanted, but decided to let it be since the average Joe wouldn't really go that route and the number is relatively small.

They aren't that interested in going after a DIYer that is getting the Insider to use as a primary OS, if anything it's in their benefit to increase this base for market share and word of mouth marketing. They are way more concerned about businesses using or hawking dodgy licenses.

13. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    You'd be surprised. My old workplace had embossing machines still running OS/2 Warp.

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    No, you cannot dual boot at all, read in link:D

16. rjc862003

rjc862003 MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2009
    amusing because I am tripple booting right now