Free Windows 7 Upgrade :)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by david3663, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Piracy is a bad thing, in general.

I have little argument with you there. I have read years ago that Adobe didnt really care because piracy helped make PhotoShop the industry standard. Most of the pirated copies were in the hands of people that would never pay for it if forced to.

people don't take ownership of digital stuff serious anymore, and thats bad if you are on the selling side of digital stuff. Music, Software.

They said the same thing decades ago when cassette tape replaced 8 track. Music is still alive and well 40 years later.

2. Puhu

Puhu MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Things have changed between now and then.

Its now possible that one (illegal) uploader supplies millions of users within days.

Companies have to look at the new possibilities and challenges the internet offers, but we will need some kind of (international) law on the net as well, unfortunately. Law that satisfies users and producers, and allows for quality products, software AND creative products.

Sites as The Pirate Bay need to be easily convicted of aiding piracy, and should not be able to continue for years bad mouthing right holders, and obstructing the normal ways of the law by complaining about human rights, freedom of speech and such. They are just pirates, nothing more, nothing less.

Piracy will always be there, don't worry. But its so easy nowadays, people think its becoming normal to get your music, movies and software for free.

And when somebody IS caught, and gets fined, it seems out of time, out of place and out of proportion.

3. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Things have changed between now and then
    I agree

Its now possible that one (illegal) uplo*der supplies millions of users within days.

Drop a few zeros and I might take you seriously.

Companies have to look at the new possibilities and challenges the internet offers, but we will need some kind of (international) law on the net as well, unfortunately. Law that satisfies users and producers, and allows for quality products, software AND creative products.

I read this as a law that will satisfy you only. I am happy with present legislature.

Sites as The Pirate Bay need to be easily convicted of aiding piracy, and should not be able to continue for years bad mouthing right holders, and obstructing the normal ways of the law by complaining about human rights, freedom of speech and such. They are just pirates, nothing more, nothing less.

Should corperations be easily convicted of taking advantage of consumers? Human rights? Nike using child labor to make $150 running shoes?

4. Puhu

Puhu MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Its so easy to broaden the discussion about piracy by sidestepping to every (semi) related subject. Child labor has little to do with piracy.

The way some businesses operate may be considered immoral, but an immoral answer such as piracy only hardens the way to solutions.

5. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ok, I have a closet full of records.. yes those big black grooved things. In time I replaced them with CDs. I hear your type argue about intellectual property. Fine, since its not the media, you owe me money. Its not fair to charge twice for the same "intellectual property" Piracy is stealing, isnt charging twice for one thing stealing?

I think we have gone way off topic with this. Time to end this debate or start a new thread.