From beginning to the end

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shonick, Dec 24, 2009.

1. shonick

shonick MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    I would like to modify my laptop's BIOS to have slic 2.1, but currently, I don't know much about this. Please guide me how to do it.

1. How do I know if my BIOS is modifiable?- My BIOS is Phoenix BIOS/ACPI 1.0 with no SLIC table

2. How to backup my BIOS if something go wrong? What is flashing? I often see you mention about this action, but I have no idea what it is.

3. Is there any complete guide that show me how to modify my BIOS (My BIOS is Phoenix BIOS/ACPI 1.0 with no SLIC table)?

Thanks

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #2 Rosco, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    If you don't know how to do this - Don't.

Flashing is using a program supplied by your computer's manufacturer to over write the code in the BIOS chip on your computer's motherboard. Your manufacturer will usually have info on their website on how to update (flash) the BIOS and to save the original before doing so.

If it goes wrong your computer may not start - it usually needs to partly start to flash a bad flash and it may not. If this happens you need to get new BIOS code written to the chip and this usually this means sending it away - or you can replace the BIOS chip with one you buy but this is more difficult than a simple flash.

So I say again - If you don't know how to do this - Don't.

A loader will allow you to use Windows 7 (or Vista).

To my personal knowledge M$ have not disabled any of the loaders including the first Vista loader that appeared years ago - they did disable Paradox's "Royal.sys" and Timerstop with Vista SP1 but that's it as far as I know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    which brand & model is your laptop?

4. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...