Front USB ports cause computer to freeze

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mmbawlz, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mmbawlz

mmbawlz MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    Hello guys. My 2 front USB ports have been giving me trouble lately.. I have a Dell XPS 430 that I bought new a little over a year ago. This started happening like 2-3 weeks ago. Every time I charged my Blackberry, it freezes. The webcam even freezes it when I try to talk to people on Skype. I have to manually restart the computer, then when it starts up it works fine when I plug anything in. When the computer is running for a while then I plug something in, it will freeze. I've also noticed that when I close a program (firefox for example) once I hit the red X button it takes up to 5 seconds to close sometimes. I always leave my computer turned on if that's of any help.

Any suggestions? If you need any log files please tell me what to do and I will post it here. Thanks in advance.

2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    It most likly the blackberry my pc was thinking it was hdd and un plugging it it made my boot order wrong had to turn mass storage off on phone now works right

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Maybe there is a short...? What happens if you dangle it a bit? Instant freeze?

EDIT:
    Oh, I see...had the same problem with an USB stick. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    What OS have you?
    Antivirus?

Having same sort of issue with external HDD's but it comes around when i pull it out an put it back in tbh (Win 7 Ultimate x64).
    Then again I know the drive is on its way out.

Could try formatting your pen drive (AFTER YOU BACKUP THE DATA FIRST!)

Its possible a virus of sorts is causing this or an autorun program. If you can open the autorun.inf file found on most usb memory devices, see what it says. Some are viral apparently

5. mmbawlz

mmbawlz MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    Tried, no fix.

Windows 7 64 bit.
    ESET Smart Security

What do you mean formatting my pen drive? How do I do that?

6. vietlaix

vietlaix MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2010
    right click your drive and click format. this will erase any data so please back it up.

7. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    hello, have you install chipset drivers intel ? how many usb ports are used ? i have read somewhere psu is "light" on xps 430, maybe more power is require when all usb are plugged...

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes formating the usb hard disk seems to solve most of the problems. Without that, you may get freezes, slow speeds (1 MB/sec), or no indication of space available.