Fujitsu Lifebook U904 battery not recognised

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by wcoyotte2022, Mar 21, 2022.

1. wcoyotte2022

wcoyotte2022 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2022
    Hello Team,

Still continuing to rebuild my two U904 laptop, almost done.

I'm facing a strange issue with Laptop battery change.

I have bought an new oem battery for U904-B but this one is too thick and it blocks palmrest ..., this battery is charging and can work without AC power. I've tried to put in this laptop the battery (genuine Fujitsu) from U904-A but it doesn't work (battery is seen but no charging and even with 50% power when i remove ac power the laptop goes immediatly down)...

Whane i try on U904-A both oem and genuine battery work, charging and working without Ac power.

Does someone has an idea why U904-B doesn't accept genuine battery fromU904-A ?

The only difference that i found between U904-A and B is that U904-B has a secure bios (not secure boot but secure bios). Is it the reason why ?

Does someone could help me or have an idea ?

thanks ;)

2. andrew stokes

andrew stokes MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2022
    hi did you resolve this issue i am having similar problem on a u904 which hadnt been on for a long time its fine on ac but just wont charge battery

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    The reason is simple, what works is original and it is in the so-called white list in the BIOS. The one that doesn't work, it's not original and it doesn't have the company marking and the BIOS won't accept it.
    In reality, there is often only a problem with the so-called chip that is added to one and not to the other, even though these batteries may come from the same assembly line at the same factory.
    You have only two options - use the original battery with the factory chip or change the so-called white list in the BIOS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. andrew stokes

andrew stokes MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2022
    machine has original battery

5. andrew stokes

andrew stokes MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2022
    machine has original battery just hadn't been on for about 18 months

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, if things have been such as you told, I think that its life is ended and it is now fully and for ever died. None of the batteries, that have already been used, doesn't tolerate standing so long and fully empty.
    Even new ones that are in manufactorer package will die during this time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Likely the internal bios of the battery decided that the battery is dead.

No matter if it is right or not, your battery is the equivalent of a dead battery.

Just like when a printer decides that the ink cartridge is empty, no matter if there is still ink inside.

At least for batteries they have the excuse of security. That craze with battery BIOSes started some years ago after few Dell and Sony notebooks catched fire and ended on the headnews (of non technical) websites, TV networks, and Newspapers.

Possibly a Fujitsu repair center has the SW to reset the battery BIOS, but hardly they use it, given selling a new one is way more profitable.

Your only hope is that such kind of the utility , is leaked online.

8. tellurian81

tellurian81 MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2023
    I bought this device yesterday. The reason why it does not charge battery is a self-defending method what is built in these notebooks. When you use a notebook with normal use, (plugged into 220-230v) the battery loses from its capacity skowly, through the years you use the notebook. This kind of defend analizes your battery first, and after it determines a level, for example 60%, and above that value it stops charging. For a longer life fir your battery.

9. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

That's not the "normal" behavior. That's an optional feature introduced first in Thinkpads, that you can control via dedicated utility or via a combination of keys or from the bios (or a combination of the above).

There are even utilities to do so in (rooted) android smarphones, but again is not the stock behavior.