Gateway Upgrade Disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AMD313, Nov 7, 2009.

1. AMD313

AMD313 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    Did anyone get theirs yet? The site still says

Order Status Pending for Fulfillment

I sent them an email, and nothing.

I still have Ultimate, thanks to MS for the launch party, but I want my upgrade.

2. Nikkor

Nikkor MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    I got mine today but....

There are 2 discs...one Upgrade DVD that loads a wizard and a disc with Windows 7 upgrade on it.

The first disk you install Upgrade DVD..loaded the wizard (I think) but then it just sits there....you cannoit tell if anything is happening...poor interface...no moving green bars or hour glass figures...it just sits there. Rebooted and tried again...same thing.

Gateway chat line support suggests that I do a clean boot off of the upgrade Windows 7 disc. Doing this will loss all my data unless I back up. I was under the impression that this upgrade from Vista to 7 was going to be painless and lossless as far as data goes. I've just spent the last 7 weeks loading data into this brand new Gateway computer. I don't want to back up manually as it's sold as easy to upgrade etc...( maybe IT IS time to switch to Mac like the commercial says)...plus I don't want to waste hours upon hours backing up and making sure I got everything...all I'd really like is for the upgrade wizard to actually work right....

Anyone else have this problem with the upgrade dvd / wizard ?

Thanks

3. NoGoodNick

NoGoodNick MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    The problem your having Nikkor, is one that EVERYONE has when installing a new system. It's because of the way that MS bundles everything together. The first thing I do whenever I get a system is to use a Partition Manager and create a separate Data partition. Once you've done that it's pretty easy to change all your 'Default' Folders (My Documents, etc.) over to the Data partition. Normally that's enough, although I also usually move over my torrents directories when I install my torrent program (Azearus). Now, you'll be able to reinstall whenever you feel like.

The only Other thing to worry about is your mail program data and "Favorites". If you're using an Internet mail program you're Largely covered. I generally create a "Mail" Directory subdivided by year/month and drag the collected messages out of the mail program and drop them into the directory I want (IF the mail program supports this!).

Under IE you have to physically copy the "Favorites" file from your default directory, although, if you have FireFox, you can just go into "Manage Bookmarks," and export them all into an HTML file. Then when you start IE just have it copy it's favorites from FF.

A bit of a hassle, huh? :(

I'm not sure, but I suspect that Mac does pretty much the same thing on it's upgrades too.

4. oldude

oldude MDL Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Try this from win put in the disc with Windows 7 upgrade on it and click on install and see if it will let you do a upgrade

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...