Geoclue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by windsman, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    My linux died when i deleted that crap, need to reinstall everything

2. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
  3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Geoclue has been around for like 10 years - now there's this outcry...why?

Is there any evidence that your geolocation/IP is even uploaded anywhere?

I mean really... people posting FUD should just get over themselves.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @Superfly: if you read carefully, the forums on the net, one guy said he found his router address on the net after geoclue.
    Again, it seems that people are applying double standards here: if spying in Windows is bad, spying in Linux is OK.
    I don't want geoclue & co.
    Canonical seems to follow MS footsteps, or they should change the motto to: free software, but spyware. :D
    It doesn't mean that users can't complain about it just because it's free.

6. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
  7. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Never heard of it before, but it's kinda facebook for devices/buildings... aka just another tracking tool.

8. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I'm tending to think not to that .... this looks like a different animal altogether .
    I'm still hoping to gather more info before I maybe check it out ....

9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    They advertise it clearly:

That "much more" is smartphones, laptops/PCs and so on. Big Brother...in the open. When people will realize it, it will be...1984.

10. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Superfly: I do not believe the original post to be FUD. If I did, I would have simply ignored it. The OP posted this and indicated that it was an interesting subject.

And, IMHO He was right. :)

Geolocation awareness can be a good thing. If used by the authorities, it can save your life. In the wrong hands, it can be used against you. And sadly, that's what's happening today.
    Some teenage genius comes up with a stalking app, and some looney decides to stalk his / her ex. To me, that's just creepy. I'm not saying that someone is doing it right now,
    I'm saying that if I thought it up, You can bet that there are at least 1000 other people who thought of it too.

My point is, knowing about such a technology, and how to disable it is critically important to those who want to keep an eye on what is radiating out of their machines.

What bugs me is why is this technology so deeply embedded in the OS that it can't be removed easily?

12. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    exactly!!!

13. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #33 Superfly, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    'Sup? my comment was directed at the link posted not necessarily at the OP - that being said, subsequent posts in this thread certainly demonstrates some fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Either way, it's compiled into the source libraries as no-one expected a paranoia outbreak - perhaps future versions will have an option for those that do not want it... who knows. :g:

14. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #34 windsman, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    For testing purpose only :

Installed dconf-tools
    Code:
    apt://dconf-tools
    Go to com>ubuntu>geoip and change the adress to example.com

Does-it works, LOL, i don't know:eek:

windsman.

15. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #35 Mutoid, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Personally , I don't have any of those above mentioned .

I'm following this thread , and contributing , because the subject has just come to my attention , and it interests me.

Anything I've written is with the intent to promote a lively and intelligent discussion , and with the hope
    that we all learn a little more by sharing.

I don't have an agenda or " an axe to grind " , or a cause to champion , and I have zero interest in FUD .

And that also applies to my being on this forum in general ..... :)

16. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #36 windsman, Jan 30, 2016
    (OP)
    Also a useful tool for watch connection in real-time :

Code:
    apt://iftop
    Code:
    sudo iftop
    windsman.

17. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Many thanks for this and your early post windsman , it is very much appreciated.

I'm going to try this out on one of my " disposable " Linux machines .

If it gets trashed , I won't be crying ..... I can replicate it minutes :)

..... it's all part of the learning experience !

18. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    #39 ausernamenoonehas, Jan 31, 2016
  19. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Witch declinaison of mint you're using?
    Cinnamon here.

windsman.

Attached Files: