Getting a older HP scanner to get working in Win 7 / Win 10 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DavidinCT, Feb 27, 2016.

1. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Hey all,

As we know companies stop providing drivers after they are older. So when we upgrade to a newer OS, perfectly working hardware is dead because of no driver support.

FOR the longest time, on 8 and 10, I have had VMware Workstation with a XP sp3 VM with the scanner software installed. I know I can get a scanner for cheap these days (my wife likes to use it) but, I am also on the concept, don't dump a perfectly working piece of hardware that does a perfect job if you can still use it...

So, if I wanted to do a scan. I needed to open Vm workstation, boot the VM, Connect the USB based scanner to the VM, Do a scan, PRAY that the VM makes connection over to the desktop OS to drop in a folder, and if that does not work, play with the settings to make it happen or just connect a USB drive, move to drive and disconnect from the VM (find it to be the quickest way over going over network settings, etc).

So, My old 4570C scanner died and I have a old HP 4300c here that works 100%. I wanted to see if anyone found a universal driver, or something of the sort to get it to work in the native 64 bit Win 7/8.1/10.

The last drivers for these scanners were from XP and ONLY 32bit...

Is it possible to get this working in the OS, or just stick with this for a scanner that I use once ever 2-3 months.

2. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    If you have 7 Pro/Ult you can install XP Mode and install the scanner on that. It is probably the best way to get it to work.

I do see where people have been able to get that scanner working on 7 32-bit, but it takes some messing with compatibility settings (also eww gross 32-bit).

3. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #3 DavidinCT, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks,

On 7, I have XP mode but, it's not the greatest thing. When I try to open the scanner software, it does not find the scanner (this happens every time, even though I set it to always connect), so I have to open the VM, Connect the scanner, and then close it, then I can open the scanner software. After needing to do this, I found it to be QUICKER to run in WMware and just start up the VM, anyway about it, it does not have the WAF for ease of use (WAF=Wife acceptance factor). This causes me to have to ALL the scanning, so she needs something I need to STOP what I am doing to take care of her scans.

It's too much hassle, I want to use it in a x64 OS directly if possible, so maybe a 3rd party driver or some generic driver that enables them with some generic scanning software that WILL run in x64 Windows 10.

I am sure someone else ran into this before and possibly found a work-a-around or a hack to get it to work...

x32 is ok for lower end hardware and it does the job well but, I prefer x64 on everything if I can... but, I would not go eww gross myself :)

4. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Well it doesn't look like they wrote 64-bit drivers at all for that scanner. It's just too old. The best solution would seem to be buying a new scanner. An alternative option would be to get an old computer, put XP on it, and just use it for scanning (preferably to a network folder on the other computer).

I had an old Epson printer that worked fantastically well, but I had to get rid of it because they stopped selling ink cartridges for it. Such a shame...

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #5 Joe C, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    you could probably find an old XP pc for less than the price of a new scanner. My neighbor had a similar problem. She has an older sewing machine that uses these programmable flash type of drives, I gave her an old laptop I had kicking around that had windows 2000 pro on it and it works for her sewing stuff. Her software was not compatible with Windows 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Virtual machine XP 32 bit ?

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Consider yourself lucky...

I once had a Canon flatbed scanner ( IX-4015 ) which cost me $1000 plus shipping and it worked really great.
    It had a SCSI interface and when I finally made the move from Win 98 to XP what I ended up with was an expensive paperweight. :mad:
    ( XP did away with the required ASPI layer. )

At that time someone had written and was selling a custom XP driver for it, but he wanted over $600 for that.
    I ended up buying a flatbed USB 1.0 scanner from Walmart for $70 which I still use today.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I've got one of those too.....somewhere in my garage, or maybe my shed....
    My printers have a scanners built into them and there's no need for the separate scanner. Today you can get a scanner/printer/fax machine for under $100.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK and remember, the latest driver for the SJ4300C was v. 1.11 from around 2002/3! You could try the driver for the SJ657!

If you'd already installed a driver for that scanner 4300C, have the scanner connected upfront un-install the driver from Device Manger. That's a must!! The scanner need to be connected by USB, open the Device Manager and choose uninstall that old driver, when done, unplug the scanner from USB!

Download the driver for the SJ657 and set first to XP-Mode in Compatibility Mode, because you'll get an error that those driver is for W98!! After install in compatibility mode for XP, restart the computer and wait till all OS, Apps and so on are loaded before plug in the Scanner.

We had such problem with customers and because of lack of service and support from HP, we hab to find a way to get it working and we done that with Windows 8 already! But the only driver we were getting to work was the one for the SJ657 driver!

Try it and I wish you good luck!

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Yea, I would try it, I cant download SJ657 from HP any more, any place that has it wants to charge $3 for it...ugh..

11. jimmy17

jimmy17 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2016
    #11 jimmy17, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    I have an old scanner working on Win 7 Ultimate x 64
    Using Vuescan 9 x64 (9.5.01)